On a very serious note, best wishes go out to Louisville cornerback Anthony Conner who underwent surgery Monday to stabilize his cervical column after breaking his neck Friday night on a tackle against Rutgers. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
Big East Conference power rankings for Week 9 of the college football season:
1. Cincinnati (6-1, 2-0): The Bearcats suddenly find themselves in control of the Big East race. If you missed the victory over South Florida, you missed one of the most entertaining college football games of the weekend. Quarterback Zach Collaros could lead this team to big things.
2. Syracuse (5-2, 1-1): The Carrier Dome was rocking Friday night as the Orange outplayed West Virginia in every phase of the game. Wondering if Syracuse fans will get that worked up to play Wake Forest or Virginia. But the ACC office must have been delighted because the demise of the Mountaineers damages the Big East even more.
3. West Virginia (5-2, 1-1): Maybe we should have seen this coming. West Virginia sort of sleepwalked through its victory over UConn. Without that Johnny McEntee fumble in the third quarter, WVU might have found itself trailing at home and things might have gotten interesting. This is a good WVU team – when it applies itself.
4. Rutgers (5-2, 2-1): Just when you thought Rutgers had righted its ship, the Scarlet Knights fall to lowly Louisville. Rutgers still holds a big win over Syracuse and that could come in handy with tiebreakers.
5. UConn (3-4, 1-1): The Huskies were off last weekend. Can the momentum from that South Florida victory carry over to Wednesday at Pitt?
6. Pitt (3-4, 1-1): Despite the poor offensive performances in recent weeks, the Panthers could climb back into the race with a win over UConn.
7. Louisville (3-4, 1-1): Nice win over Rutgers on Friday. Not ready to jump on the Cardinals bandwagon quite yet, but they aren't in the basement.
8. South Florida (4-3, 0-3): The Bulls aren't just losing, they are tearing out the hearts of their fans. Take a week off and regroup, USF.
THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE
Wednesday, Oct. 26
Connecticut at Pittsburgh...............................8 p.m.
Series: Connecticut leads, 4-3
Last Meeting: Nov. 11, 2010 — Connecticut, 30-28
Saturday, October 29
Syracuse at Louisville.......................................Noon
BIG EAST Network Game of the Week
Television: BIG EAST Network
Series: Tied, 5-5
Last Meeting: Nov. 6, 2010 — Louisville, 28-20
West Virginia at Rutgers............................ 3:30 p.m.
Series: West Virginia leads, 32-4-2
Last Meeting: Dec. 4, 2010 — West Virginia, 35-14
Next Game: Nov. 5 at Pittsburgh
Next Game: Nov. 5 at Rutgers
BIG EAST WEEKLY HONORS
Offensive Player of the Week: Zach Collaros, QB, Cincinnati
Defensive Player of the Week: Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse
Special Teams Player of the Week: Dorian Graham, WR, Syracuse