Joseph Out For Season

Senior defensive end Jesse Joseph suffered a torn Achilles tendon Saturday in Connecticut's 24-21 victory over Maryland and will miss the remainder of the UConn season, coach Paul Pasqualoni said Sunday.

Joseph, 6-3 and 259 pounds, was injured late in the fourth quarter on an incomplete pass by Maryland on second-and-six at the UConn 21. When the play finished Joseph was on the field and required the assistance of UConn's medical staff. Joseph was helped off the field. The Terps scored four plays later on a 10-yard run by quarterback Perry Hills.

Pasqualoni said UConn will appeal to the NCAA for a redshirt that would allow Joseph to return next season for a fifth year. Since he has not redshirted and the injury took place in the third game of the season, the appeal will likely be granted.

"We're going to get the surgery done as soon as we can," Pasqualoni said Sunday. "it's clearly a torn Achilles tendon. So there's no messing around. I don't think we'll have him all the way back for spring practice. He won't be able to do much. The goal will be to get him back for the summer."

Pasqualoni said E.J. Norris, Tim Willman, and Kenton Adeyemi will all be candidates to replace Joseph on the defensive line but the injury to Joseph is a big blow to UConn's highly ranked defense. The Huskies just got tackle Shamar Stephen back for the Maryland game. And defensive end Teddy Jennings was injured against North Carolina State.

UConn's defense ranks fifth in the nation against the run and third in total defense. The Huskies allowed a running touchdown for the first time this season when Wes Brown scored on a 19-yard run in the second quarter Saturday.

Joseph made career start No. 33 (most on the UConn defense) Saturday and had two tackles to bring his season total to 12. He had 106 career tackles and 12 sacks his first three seasons.


Pasqualoni said game balls were awarded to Sio Moore and Yawin Smallwood on defense and Nick Williams on special teams. Smallwood had 14 tackles and 2.5 sacks against Maryland. Moore checked in with seven tackles and 2.5 sacks. Williams scored UConn's first TD of the day, a 58-yard punt return in the first quarter. . . . Maryland closed the gap to 17-14 Saturday on a 29-yard touchdown pass that was tipped behind cornerback Taylor Mack to Maryland's Stefon Diggs. It appeared Maryland receiver Marcus Leak could have been called for offensive pass interference against Mack on the play. "It's a very hard thing to see on our film," Pasqualoni said. "We do not have great angles on it. I haven't gotten a TV copy yet. But we're going to send it in to Terry McAulay [coordinator of football officiating for the Big East] and we're going to get his point of view on it."

UCONN Playbook Top Stories