Connecticut's new conference, now being referred to as "the soon-to-renamed Big East Conference," announced Tuesday that it has reached an agreement with long-time partner CBS Sports to carry men's basketball games through the 2019-20 season.
According to conference commissioner Mike Aresco and CBS Sports chairman Sean McManus, the contract includes "up to 12 appearances per season" and half of those each season will be conference games. CBS retains the right to first selections among conference, non-conference and neutral site games.
Financial terms of the agreement were not announced.
"We are delighted to be extending the historic and successful relationship that we have enjoyed with CBS Sports since 1983," Aresco said in a statement.. "This agreement further illustrates the excitement and anticipation that surround the re-invention of our conference, and it will provide our fans across the country the opportunity to watch our games on network television."
The conference previously announced a deal with ESPN. Aresco and others have said the conference is working on a new name. It could be announced by late-April. The seven Catholic schools that broke away retained the rights to the Big East name and the conference tournament held in Madison Square Garden in New York
Beginning with the 2014-15 academic year, the conference previously known as the Big East will consist of Central Florida, Cincinnati, UConn, Houston, Memphis, Southern Methodist, South Florida, Temple and Tulane. East Carolina University will be a football-only member. The U.S. Naval Academy will become a football-only member in 2015.
UConn and Temple would be the only teams that didn't leave Conference-USA for the Big East.
"This long-term agreement with CBS demonstrates that our conference is rapidly moving into the next era of exciting and high-level basketball competition on network television," Aresco said. "We look forward to a long and productive partnership with CBS, which will serve our fans and member institutions exceedingly well."?
The National Association of Basketball Coaches released its 2013 All-District teams Tuesday and UConn point guard Shabazz Napier was a first-team District 5 selection. Joining Napier on the all-district team were Georgetown's Otto Porter, Louisville's Russ Smith, Notre Dame's Jack Cooley, and Cincinnati's Sean Kilpatrick. . . . Junior forward Tyler Olander is scheduled to appear at Bay County Court in Panama City, Fla., Wednesday, according to reports. Olander was arrested and charged with trespassing while on spring break March 21 in Panama City. Court records show he was arrested at 2 a.m., booked at 6:51 a.m., and released on his own recognizance later that day. . . . Work is starting to pick up on the UConn basketball training facility in Storrs. Athletic director Warde Manuel announced March 9 that UConn will hold an official ground-breaking ceremony on April 16 but preliminary work has been taking place whenever weather allowed. The facility is expected to be ready in 14 months with a completion date of May 2014 at the earliest. The men's and women's team will occupy the building in the fall of 2014.