UConn Topped At Syracuse, 42-30

Connecticut, down 21-20 at the break, was unable to gain their third conference win as host Syracuse broke out in the second half for a 42-30 win Saturday at the Carrier Dome.

UConn is 5-3, 2-3 in Big East play while SU evened their season mark to 4-4, 2-1 in the conference.

Senior Dan Orlovsky completed 39 of his 51 passes for 445 yards and two touchdowns. He was sacked five times and intercepted twice. The 39 completions is a UConn and Big East Conference single-game record. The 445 passing yards is also a UConn single-game best.

Sophomore Cornell Brockington carried the ball 24 times for 123 yards and a score. He also caught 10 passes for 93 yards.

Syracuse QB Perry Patterson was 10-of-19 for 125 yards and two touchdowns. Walter Reyes led the rushing attack with 121 yards on 15 carries; he scored two touchdowns. Steve Gregory caught five passes for 53 yards.

UConn outgained Syracuse 566-406 but turned the ball over five times. The Huskies didn't punt the whole afternoon. Syracuse had a 281-121 edge on the ground; this includes UConn's 35 yards lost on sacks. SU didn't turn the ball over.

Syracuse opened the scoring on Reyes' 50-yard touchdown run. The Orange's first drive was set up by Diamond Ferri's interception of an Orlovsky pass. Syracuse had a 7-0 lead with 9:40 left in the first quarter.

The Huskies tied the score on Orlovsky's 17-yard sideline pass to sophomore Dan Murray at the 3:28 mark.

Brockington capped a 74-yard drive with a two-yard score to give UConn their first lead at 13-7 with 7:20 left in the first half. Sophomore Matt Nuzie's extra point attempt missed the mark.

The Orange regained the lead less than two minutes later on Breyone Evans' 22 yard score that put SU up 14-13. The Huskies bounced back, also within two minutes, on Orlovsky's 20-yard pass to senior Brian Sparks. UConn was back up 20-14 with 4:07 left to play.

Syracuse gained an opportunity for the final offensive series of the half as SU sacked Orlovsky whose fumble was recovered by James Wyche. UConn lost the lead when Patterson's 36-yard desperation pass was tipped in the end zone and captured by Andre Fontenette, giving the Orange the 21-20 halftime lead.

On the first drive of the second half, Anthony Smith returned an Orlovsky pass 32 yards for a touchdown, extending Syracuse's lead to 28-20 with 10:51 left in the third period. UConn narrowed the lead to 28-23 on Nuzie's 48-yard field goal.

But Syracuse had an answer. Patterson capped an 80-yard drive connecting with Jared Jones on a 29-yard score, extending the lead to 35-23 with just 34 seconds left in the quarter.

The Orange kept the ball on the ground for a four-play 67-yard drive, scoring on Reyes' three-yard rush that upped their lead to 45-23 with 7:39 left in the game.

UConn tallied their final score in the last minute of play on Orlovsky's 15-yard pass to freshman Brandon McLean.

Connecticut has next week off before traveling south to take on the ACC's Georgia Tech (4-3, 3-3) on Saturday, Nov. 13th, on Bobby Dodd Stadium / Grant Field. The game time has not yet been announced.

UCONN Playbook Top Stories