Summers hurt his right knee after scampering 31 yards off right tackle on his first carry of the scrimmage. Safety Tony Cade hog-tied Summers from behind.
"My cleats kind of got stuck in the turf," Summers said.
Summers went in for one more carry, a 17-yard run up the middle against the second team defense. But he went to the sidelines after that and had the knee iced.
The apparent good news is that Summers appeared to be fine afterward and even did some extra calisthenics for getting caught being outside his room a few minutes after the team's 10 p.m. curfew on Friday night.
"I'm fine," Summers said. "I should be ready to go on August 30th (at Utah State)."
Okay, everyone can exhale now.
UNLV head coach Mike Sanford said he wanted to wait until Sunday to make sure Summers' knee was okay and didn't swell up. However, he said trainers found no structural damage during an exam.
Among the highlights from the two-hour scrimmage:
* Recently named starting quarterback Travis Dixon, who was not "live" for tackling, led the first team offense to a field goal in a two-minute offense drill and also a 70-yard touchdown drive that was capped off by a one-yard run by Chris Brogdon. Both series were against the No. 2 defense.
* Dixon threw a interception to corner Lafayette Fletcher on a tipped pass, then had everyone holding their breaths when he delivered a loud hit on Fletcher on the runback at the end of the play.
"We were yelling ‘No, no, no' but he didn't hear us," Sanford said of the ill-advised tackle. Fortunately, Dixon bounced right back up after the hit.
* Backup quarterback Dack Ishii had a solid day completing 10 of 18 passes for 118 yards and a seven-yard touchdown pass to Rodelin Anthony. That came against the first team defense which was minus a number of key starters including linebacker Beau Bell (sore hamstring), corner Geoffery Howard (groin) and several other starters who came out early in the contest.
* The starting offensive line seemed to dominate the line of scrimmage against the second team defensive line with right guard Mike McKiski and right tackle Johan Asiata opening the big hole for Summers' 31-yard jaunt.
* Both true freshman quarterbacks, Mike Clausen and Omar Clayton, looked impressive at times during their turns quarterbacking the No. 3 offense against the No. 3 defense.
* Sophomore Ben Jaekle was outstanding on kickoffs, putting several in the end zone and would appear to be the frontrunner for kickoff duties.
* Sophomore center Joe Hawley should his athletic ability by running back a short kickoff 20 yards. Just call him "Joe The Tank."
Here are the final stats from the scrimmage:
Travis Dixon 6-11, 78 yards, 1 Int.
Dack Ishii 10-18, 118 yards, 1 TD
Omar Clayton 2-3, 30 yards
Mike Clausen 4-7, 55 yards
Frank Summers 2-48
Chris Brogdon 8-41, 1 TD
Robert Paulele 6-19
Omar Clayton 4-16, 1 TD
Travis Dixon 2-15
Mike Clausen 2-8
Dack Ishii 2-(-8)
Renan Saint Preux 3-52
Lorenzo Bursey Jr. 3-41
Aaron Straiten 2-38
Rodelin Anthony 2-35, 1 TD
Garrien Johnson 2-26
Gerold Rodriguez 2-25
Ryan Worthen 2-20
Chris Brogdon 1-20
Casey Flair 1-11
Chris Butler 1-9
Jerriman Robinson 1-5
Robert Paulele 1-1
Frank Summers 1-(-2)
Fumble recovery-KC Asiodu
Forced fumbles-Preston Brooks, Anthony White
Sacks-Preston Brooks (minus-8 yards), Thor Pili (minus-7 yards)
Pass breakups-KC Asiodu, Omega Faga, Daryl Forte, Luke Plante
Quarterback pressure-Malo Taumua
A few anxious moments at Rebel scrimmage
Inside the Rebels Top Stories
Updated 2018 Top 100Scout's 2018 top 100 was updated on Thursday. Marvin Bagley held on to the No. 1 spot, but Bol Bol moved outside of the top 10 up to No. 2 and Zion Williamson landed at No. 3.
Inside The Hiring of Desiree Reed-FrancoisUNLV hired the best possible person to run the Rebels Athletic Department in Desiree Reed-Francois. Here is the inside story on how she won the job and what to expect from her…
Inside the Rebels06/07/2017
Huffman's Stars of the Offseason- Part TwoScout's National Director of Recruiting Brandon Huffman looks at the top overall performers by class and a few emergers during the spring and summer camp and 7v7 circuit from the…
Scout Football8:30 AM
Pump: Strawther has high level early offersANAHEIM, Calif. - Julian Strawther showed why he has several high level early offers at the Double Pump Best of Summer Tournament. The 2020 prospect discussed his recruitment.
Scout Hoops12:25 AM