Trojan Thoughts on the Sanctions
In January, USC appealed the NCAA's decision to sanction the Trojans' postseason through 2012 and have 30 scholarships reduced over three years. On Thursday, this appeal was denied. After the news sunk in, some of the Trojans spoke on the matter.
"It's just not fair, it's out of our control we kind of just hoped for the best and it didn't work out in our favor," said defensive end Kevin Greene. "If the NCAA treats everybody the same, which I'm sure they do, they'll crack down on other schools like they did us."
What do incoming Trojans think about the denied appeal?
"It kind of sucks and like I feel for the seniors who can't play in the bowl game this year, but it definitely didn't affect me or my decision," said incoming linebacker Tre Madden.
The decision arguably takes the biggest toll on current seniors and future classes.
"It kind of sucks but from what I was hearing we were only appealing the scholarships anyway. I would have rather appealed the bowl ban, me being selfish," said senior and wide receiver Brandon Carswell. "I just feel like for the future of the Trojans we need those scholarships. But it doesn't affect the way I'm looking into the season. I still want our team to succeed."
"It will have more of an impact for younger guys because a lot of great players won't get the opportunity they want to because of the lack of scholarships but we're still going to do our best to get the players around the country," Greene said.
Before the NCAA Infractions Appeals Committee, the school attempted to reduce the bowl ban to one year, which had been served in 2010, and modify the reduction in scholarships from the current 10 to five over three years.
"It's unfortunate we weren't here when any of the things happened. I don't personally know Reggie [Bush]. [Bush] was here when Coach [Pete] Carroll was here," said senior defensive tackle Armond Armstead. "It's kind of a bummer but we just have to play for our teammates and play what they [the NCAA] allow us to play. We don't have control over the situation. We can't do anything about it so we just have to let it go."
To those not affected by the scholarship loss and have years of eligibility left, like linebacker Hayes Pullard, the situation isn't impossible.
"I'm still young so I still have a lot of time to go to a bowl game. [The scholarship loss] will be short but I think we're still able to manage it. We have been getting the best athletes in the nation and I still think it will continue," Pullard said.
The BCS Championship of 2004 might be vacated, and the cliché "you can't sanction the end zone" will be heard louder than ever before. But the game of football will continue, just like it always has.
"It just is what it is," said redshirt freshman Anthony Brown. "We got to keep going, keep doing our thing."
USCFootball.com Top Stories
The War RoomFrom last week’s “must win” edition of the War Room to this week’s “now what?” War Room we talk about a drastic move to change the culture of the program, the latest on recruiting…
Thursday Instant Analysis & Clay Helton videoKeely Eure and Dan Weber discuss all of the news and notes from Thursday's practice including Clay Helton's plan to forgo field goals and punts on specific fourth down situations.
USCFootball.comYesterday at 7:03 PM
Steven Mitchell talks offenseRedshirt junior Steven Mitchell talks to Keely Eure about bouncing back from the loss to Utah and getting ready to play Arizona State.
USCFootball.comYesterday at 6:05 PM