- Pre-practice walk-through of 75-80 plays at 2:30 p.m. for 45 minutes and then an hour of rest after conditioning and then time for some of that free food before the Trojans hit the field for practice No. 1.
- Kevon Seymour is held out of practice for a stomach virus. He says he should be good to practice soon.
- Seymour says he was hospitalized for six days because of a rthe bug that dehydrated him and he's lost a good bit of weight.
- USC's runs 130 plays in the Monday night -- it's a 210-play practice day for the Trojans.
- Big news item of the day after practice is that tight end Jalen Cope-Fitzpatrick, who did practice, will be academically ineligible for the fall.
- Fans are asked to line up at the swim stadium instead of Goux Gate
for check in.
- Former running back D.J. Morgan has indeed made the switch to safety after four knee surgeries. Word is DJ is saying if he has to go out of here, he's going out hitting somebody.
- Even with the fans headed to the swim stadium, there's a buzz at practice that has been missing for years.
- Darreus Rogers jogs out from the tunnel in his new No. 1
jersey. Rogers plays the part of a No. 1 Monday.
- Defensive front players like Scott Starr and Leonard Williams
walk out of the tunnel in their new protective knee braces. The whole
defensive line will be wearing those braces in practice.
- Linebacker Michael Hutchings has a big brace to protect his dislocated right elbow.
- Almost the last man up the ramp in his full gear but moving a bit gingerly on his left ankle is Aundrey Walker, who ended up playing through his pain now that his ankle is actually healthy.
- Although practice starts leisurely, the pace quickens as players
go into individual drills.
- Patrick Turner, after four years in the NFL is back finishing up his degree and starting grad school at USC. Says this has him all fired up for football. He's been doing some player tutoring, he says.
- JK McKay and Pat Haden, with his grand kids, make the start of practice Monday.
- Adoree Jackson lines up on defense as corner with the second
group to start practice Monday. Fellow freshmen Juju Smith and Rahshead Johnson line up on offense.
- In the second 11-on-11, Jackson puts a yellow jersey over his white defensive one and jumps in as a receiver with the first group and gets a number thrown his way. Sarkisian says he was in for 15-16 plays and a major factor in all of them..
- USC saw a lot of special teams work Monday -- more than in the
entire spring for punt team.
- Steven Mitchell, Nelson Agholor and Rogers returning punts. Mitchell playing without a knee brace. Says he considers himself 100 percent. Great news.
- Tee Martin has 14 wide receivers Monday.
- Total body count for secondary players Monday is 18.
- Really quick start in 11 on 11 with Cody Kessler hitting Nelson on two of the first three plays, but he gets pressured by Anthony Sarao and Williams on the third one.
- First offense looks like it might be a bit ahead of the first defense here, but reverse that for the second groups with freshman Viane Talamaivao's snapping issues part of that.
- Anthony Brown showing some real moves on his first carry as a running back. Very nice 15 yard sweep and cutback.
- Linebacker Lamar Dawson not all the way back from injury Monday,
but he' did work in some drills on his surgically repaired knee.
- * First O-line as expected: from left to right, Chad Wheeler, Toa Lobendahn in his new No. 50, Max Tuerk, Khaliel Rodgers, Zach Banner and Randall Telfer at tight end. Lobendahn gets approximately 15 snaps for Max Tuerk as that position -- or the best five combo -- is to be determined.
- Misread between Cody Kessler and Tre Madden puts the ball on the ground for a defensive team scoop and score.
- James Toland with three outstanding runs picks up where he left off in spring.
- Two hours into practice and still 13 minutes on the scoreboard clock. Lots of plays for lots of players.
- Finally, by 9:04 p.m. the three horns sound, but that just gets the team to the final installment where the rookies get hazed after losing the football "In record time" Leonard Williams notes, so it's up-downs for them as they get bathed in Gatorade. A fun finish, although it's not over as many of the skill guys.
- Servite four-star wide out Equanemious St. Brown and Serra five-star linebacker John Houston both attend practice Monday night at USC. St. Brown denies reports that he committed to USC after practice ended.
Practice quick slant
USCFootball.com Top Stories
The Sam Darnold EffectAdvanced analytics are becoming increasingly popular in college football. Over the next several weeks we will take a look at different USC story lines using advanced analytics.
USCFootball.comFriday at 4:37 PM
J.T. Daniels puts on passing showcaseHighlights of 2019 Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei quarterback J.T. Daniels against Santa Margarita (Calif.) Catholic.
USCFootball.comFriday at 2:36 PM
The War RoomIn the bye week edition of the War Room we take a look at recruiting with coaches hitting the road, analyze some surprising offensive statistics, the boost in team chemistry and…
USCFootball.comFriday at 6:47 AM
Amon-Ra St. Brown could be best of the bunch2018 four-star receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown has a great connection with 2019 four-star quarterback J.T. Daniels and could be the best of the three star St. Brown brothers.
USCFootball.comThursday at 6:36 PM