- The double-decked suites in the Coliseum now appear to block out the Peristyle even more than last year, although we're told they do not. The end zone stands are now only about half the size of previous years leaving room where the missing 10 rows or so in front for the new ground-level suites when they're installed.
- AD Pat Haden says the capacity will not be changed even though it looks different but we're told the additional suites will make up for most of the lost rows.
- New kicker Matt Boermeester opens with a 52-yard field goal as he warms up then just misses to the right from 60 and appears to get one off the crossbar from 62. Just warming up, mind you.
- Su'a Cravens and Devian Shelton were in pads and playing Thursday. Kevon Seymour here and dressed out, but with no pads. Bryce Dixon back and full-go. Jordan Simmons and Aundrey Walker limited were limited. D.J. Morgan out and Lamar Dawson still limited.
- Coliseum turf so upgraded for the spring game looks to still be in great shape except for one weird group of patches between the 15 and 20 yard lines at the enclosed end where the underlying sand seems to be coming through.
- Officials attended practice for the first time this year. Good news for the receivers after Wednesday's working over.
- All three field goal kickers worked from the 50-yard line with simulated field goals that the kickoff returners -- including Su’a Cravens -- are catching and returning the football. Cravens might be the only 231-pound kickoff return guy in the nation.
- More specific kickoff return work on creating a seam at the point of attack for George Farmer and Adoree Jackson Thursday.
- Adoree Jackson getting reps in the offensive backfield as a running back. That makes him a cornerback, wide out, kick returner, running back now.
- Nice first drive for the offense in 11-on-11 aided by a couple of defensive penalties. Juju Smith comes on with the second team. With his power, speed and size might make the bubble screen cool again.
- Back to individual drills, Josh Shaw defending Nelson Agholor deep. Cody Kessler still hits Agholor on the jump ball even with the called PI on Shaw.
- Two plays later there are three flags on the defense and again a few plays later it happens again. Not often do you see three flags in one one-on-one on one defensive back.
- At the other end of the field, the tight ends are going against linebackers with a lot more physicality and a lot fewer flags.
- Adoree Jackson goes to defense in the specialty breakdown time after 90 minutes.
- The news of Ryan Abraham's long-anticipated move to Scout.com has been announced during practice with plenty of positive media feedback.
- Tre Madden gets the first three carries in the final 11-on-11 and then Allen is in next. Seeing Damien Mama more on both teams at left guard. Toa Lobendahn getting guard and center snaps.
- Really nice job by fullback Soma Vainuku on a comeback route from Kessler for 18 at the sideline.
- Walk-on Matt Lopes is one physical safety. He has been really aggressive in pass coverage. Thursday was thud-plus contact at the coliseum.
- The whole team ran sideline to sideline midway through practice gasser style. Damien needed some help here after the first couple of 50-yard sprints. Which as it turns out is the reason they're running. No one was supposed to be going to the ground. "That's how people get hurt," Sark said later.
- Tackling in full pads comes Friday at Howard Jones. Thursday was to get used to the Coliseum for the players and the coaches, Sark said.
- Ajene Harris had another big play on a deep catch in seven-on-seven. Tee Martin remarks that with Harris paying quarterback in high school, his ability to process the playbook and been a pleasant surprise.
- Boermeeste and Heidari are each three of four for field goals, although Heidari hits his 52 yarder but misses from 32. Boermeester's misses from 52 aided by a bad snap.
- The quarterback did get some work under center Thursday.
- Cody Kessler hits Agholor on a 50-yard bomb against blown coverage.
- The defense came back with Michael Hutchings intercepting Max Browne, who didn’t see him sneaking into the curl route.
- More blown coverage gives Harris a wide open touchdown as the third team go at it with Jalen Greene at quarterback.
- Green comes back for a 45-yard touchdown strike to a wide-open walk-on tight end Connor Spears.
- Buck Allen gets a 40-yard wheel route touchdown from Kessler at the 2:37 mark. Then a nice Cody scramble before hitting JuJu Smith for 18-yards.
- Lots of post-practice talk about Adoree Jackson two-way -- actually three-way with special teams -- duties and Sark says he's handling it all amazingly well. "He just keeps making plays," Sark said. And yes, they are figuring new ways to play to the strengths of the running backs they have.
Thursday practice quick slant
USCFootball.com Top Stories
Miller having big yearC.J. Miller may not have five-stars next to his name, but he is proving to be a top performer this season for McEachern High School.
USC vs. Utah Game HighlightsThe Trojans lost a heart breaker in Utah, but it wasn't all bad for the Trojans. Check out these USC highlights shot by Keely Eure at field level.
USCFootball.comYesterday at 3:22 PM
Peristyle Podcast on the loss to UtahCoach Harvey Hyde shares his thoughts on USC’s heartbreaking loss to Utah and the Trojans disappointing 1-3 start to the season.
USCFootball.comYesterday at 1:51 PM
USC in top 7 for West's top DTWest's top defensive tackle, Jay Tufele, cuts down his list of potential universities to seven, including USC and three other Pac-12 schools.
USCFootball.comSaturday at 3:09 PM