- The "nicked-up" list — as Steve Sarkisian called it Sunday — was Antwaun Woods with his left elbow in a sling. Cody Temple who had a concussion from Friday. Jabari Ruffin, who tweaked his knee after making an interception and getting tackled as he neared the sideline. Leonard Williams who had his other shoulder banged up. Darreus Rogers, who Sarkisian said tweaked his achilles. Adoree Jackson who got his foot stepped on. None of the reported injuries were classified as serious by Sarksisian.
- No pads Sunday for Antwaun Woods, but he's here in gear and runs through the bag drills at the beginning of practice.
- Three horns sound at 8:45 a.m. and we're talking tackling as they organize themselves in the pre-practice walkthroughs.
- Sunday was the first day fans were not allowed on the sidelines. Fans can watch from the Dedeaux Field Deck, only not tonight when the second session of the first two-a-day is closed to fans and media.
- Another full Pac-12 officiating crew here Sunday and they're even checking out the drills up close.
- Adoree Jackson in his all-white defensive uniform was back fielding punts in the early special teams work with Nelson Agholor.
- Cornerback Kevon Seymour was in a yellow jersey Sunday, but participated in every aspect of practice.
- Wide receivers start with a four cone drill (five yards apart). Not so easy for a big-body George Farmer. Steven Mitchell, who has been eased in the first week, also excels with feet that make it look effortless. Darreus Rogers and Nelson Agholor both fly through the drill as well.
- The defense used the moving, sliding, rolling one-man sled for tackling form -- and full-speed work -- again. It’s a good way to get tackling in without people getting hurt. Obvious why defensive coaches wanted this new piece of equipment. You have to stay balanced, keep your head up and your legs driving or it will flop over on you.
- Really big start for the first offense in 11-on-11 with Cody Kessler completions to Agholor on a crossing slant, to Farmer on a seam route, to Rogers on a quick stop and Buck Allen flaring to the sidelines.
- In for Woods at nose tackle is Delvon Simmons, who lines up between Leonard Williams and Claude Pelon.
- Second-team nose is walk-on Joey Augello. Greg Townsend Jr. staying at defensive end with the second group.
- Big start for the second team offense as Justin Davis takes a quick sweep for 15-yards followed by Max Browne completions to Aaron Minor, Christian Tober and Connor Spears.
- Defense gets a chance to get back on a new tackling drill for the whole team with three defenders facing three blockers and a ball-carrier over 20 yards of a five-yard wide cone corridor. This one is for the whole team and a little riskier than Friday's one-on-one.
- Defense also wins some downs in the second 11-on-11 session that is heavy on the run.
- After being quiet Friday, Tre Madden and Buck Allen got a lot more carries Sunday.
- The highlight and lowlight of Sunday is a terrific interception of Max Browne by Jabari Ruffin, who gets pounded at the end of his return and comes up limping favoring his knee. He'll spend the rest of the day on the trainer's table before leaving on a cart with what appears to be a swollen knee.
- Soma Vainuku blasted right up the gut for a big 20 yard run with the second team offense. The fullbacks move everywhere on the field in this offense.
- In goal-line passing, Max Browne and Jalen Greene having more success against the second and third groups than Cody Kessler is against the first team defense.
- Freshman tight end Bryce Dixon gets a couple of touchdown catches in the red zone.
- Reserve field goal team is Alex Wood and walk-on Wyatt Schmidt. Peter McBride still doing the honors with long-snapper.
- Nathan Guertler joins the ranks on the trainer's table sunday. And no appearance here today for Aundrey Walker until the end when he's doing special work with the trainers. Sarkisian says Walker has been cleared, but is having trouble playing through the pain in his ankle and will soon have to make a decision on coming back.
- Third 11-on-11 session opens up with a 25-yard Buck Allen touchdown catch in red zone from Kessler.
- Freshman Ajene Harris gets reps with the first and second team from the slot. The offense gets the ball in his hands every period.
- Leonard Williams given last 45 minutes of practice off with his shoulder pads off.
- Big plays on the fourth 11-on-11 series include inside runs from Allen and Madden, a nice out route to Randall Telfer and two completions from Kessler to Agholor. Allen caps off the series powering in for a short touchdown run.
- Justin Davis gets second group going with a 15-yard inside run. Davis and Allen looking hard for cutback lanes more and more in camp.
- Freshman safety John Plattenburg stops the drive with a slick pick of Browne on the next play.
- The absence of Leonard Williams is being felt as Allen and Madden both break bigs runs inside.
- Team will go tonight at 7:00 p.m. in helmets in a practice closed to media and fans.
Sunday practice quick slant
USCFootball.com Top Stories
For USC, 'The numbers are the numbers'So now with USC facing five straight Pac-12 teams who play fast and put the ball in play a lot, how do the Trojans develop the depth they didn't have at the end Friday in Utah?…
USCFootball.comYesterday at 7:58 PM
Adoree' Jackson talks kick return touchdownAdoree' Jackson talks about his kick return for a touchdown against Utah as well as the Utes' game-winning touchdown against him.
USCFootball.comYesterday at 7:49 PM
Wednesday Instant Analysis & Helton videoKeely Eure and Dan Weber bring you Instant Analysis from USC's Wednesday practice with comments from players and coaches on the defensive side of the ball.
USCFootball.comYesterday at 7:15 PM
USC Recruiting PodcastGerard Martinez shares some optimistic thoughts towards USC’s recruiting class if the Trojans are able to string together a few wins on the field.
USCFootball.comYesterday at 3:35 PM