- USC had a reception for new season ticket purchasers Wednesday. Steve Sarkisian spoke to the crowd before the filed over from the sun deck area to watch the scrimmage.
- Sarkisian said after the scrimmage the offense was shooting for 100 plays on the night and got 98 in. That’s without a number of injured players we'll list below and Nelson Agholor, who USC held out for rest.
- No pads for Leonard Williams, Cody Temple, Antwaun Woods, Su'a Cravens, Adoree Jackson, Darreus Rogers, Lamar Dawson, Jordan Simmons and Anthony Brown Wednesday at the Coliseum.
- Sarkisian inform the media after practice that freshman Jordan Austin will have hip surgery similar to Zach Banner's on both hips and be out until the spring. USC's number of originally recruited scholarship players is now down to 64 available to play. Sark says this is the way they planned it and wanted to give him some playing experience before the surgery.
- Aundrey Walker was in pads Wednesday, but those pads came with a yellow jersey. Walker did participate in the scrimmage.
- After warmups, the team went into individual drills and then seven-on-seven.
- Kevon Seymour, Chris Hawkins, Gerald Bowman and Leon McQuay made up the first secondary group. Seymour was still in a non-contact yellow jersey.
- the actual scrimmage starts at 7:20 p.m. with a kickoff by Andre Heidari. He skulls a low one-hopper into the end zone past walk-on David Mellstrom. Then Matt Boerstein hits one three yards deep into the end zone on the fly.
- First offense sees Buck Allen powers left for eight yards followed by a five-yard Kessler to Allen pass. Allen power left for another eight yards before Tre Madden powers for four and another first down. Sark liked the way they were able to run downhill, he said, albeit against the third team defense.
- The offense then gets screen happy and sees the drive sputter.
- Second team offense opens with Justin Davis slashing runs off tackle on the first team defense. That is before before Chris Hawkins picks off a Max Browne pass and returns it 20 yards.
- Allen gets going with a 15-yard run after a Kessler sack. Then freshman safety John Plattenburg saves a touchdown defending Randall Telfer in the end zone. Plattenburg ended the night as one of the team’s leading tacklers.
- Freshman cornerback Jonathan Lockett had a very good scrimmage racking up a sack, blocking a punt and blowing up two screen plays to his side. However, Juju Smith did beat him on a stop route in the end zone for the first score.
- Long snapping was still an adventure Wednesday night. Peter McBride, in for regular Zach Smith who is sick, fired one back to the 50-yard on the extra point attempt.
- Justin Davis totaled some big yards on swing passes Wednesday. Davis was the most productive running back in terms of total offense in the scrimmage.
- A 51-yard Heidari field attempt that is good gets negated by a lineman's procedure penalty. the ball is placed back to 56 and Heidari hits it perfectly again. The USC record is 60-yards. Heidari’s field goal would have been good from more than 60.
- Lockett’s punt block on Kris Albarado led to a Hayes Pullard scoop and score.
- Allen left the scrimmage holding his wrist, but it is later revealed he came down wrong on his shoulder after an inside zone play near the goal line. Allen
- Heidari hit another field goal from the 21 yard-line after the drive stalls.
- Matt Boermeester gets his first field chance and hits from 34 for USC's third field of the night.
- And in a further display of walkon kicking depth, Wyatt Schmidt out of Minnesota comes in to hit two of three from 40 yards out.
- Freshman walk-on linebacker Reuben Peters is credited with an interception a return. Peters played at Loyola last season.
- George Farmer had a good 30-yard kick return Wednesday, but left the field with his knee packed in ice.
- Big play of the night was Max Browne's 80-yard touchdown pass to Victor Blackwell who out runs Lamont Simmons to the end zone.
- Cody Kessler was picked off by a diving Gerald Bowman at the sideline from a deflected ball. Kessler was not pleased with the batted pass and let the receivers know it.
- Kessler’s troubles continue as he gets submarined in a loose ball scrum after a low snap on a play where he was going to take off and run it and as Cody is leaning to get it he gets submarined by Greg Townsend Jr. It looks like, from the side of his left knee -- the one in the brace -- and just lies there as no one in the Coliseum exhales.
- But after a few seconds jogs off the field and then is back in the next series. Kessler even scrambled nicely the first play of the series.
- Kessler hit on play action for 25 yards to a leaping JuJu Smith. The freshman receiver works with the first and second team along with Ajene Harris. Both players end the night with a handful of receptions.
- Kessler and Victor Blackwell had a good night connecting. Blackwell did, however, get a foolish penalty when he caught a pass over Devian Shelton and decided to by step over him while dropping the ball in his face in the end zone.
- Adding salt in the wound, Walkon David Mellstrom gets the better of Shelton in the end zone on a Browne touchdown pass.
- Freshman tight end Bryce Dixon was fairly quiet Wednesday, although he did hook up with Browne on a 35-yard competition.
- No Jalen Greene in the Wednesday scrimmage. Has an abdominal pull and was held out so Anthony Neyer got the third-team work.
- Freshmen Viane Talamaivao and Damien Mama spend much of the first-team offense time on the field huddling with Tim Drevno. Toa Lobendahn worked at first team left guard and second team center. Talamiavao did not play center Wednesday.
- One post scrimmage comment from Sarkisian is that his team showed some anxiety at a scrimmage in the Coliseum and needed to settle down. Some really good things and some not so, Sark said.
- Defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox said tonight showed that this team "has a lot to work on . . . we're nowhere near ready yet."
Scrimmage practice quick slant
USCFootball.com Top Stories
Juju Smith-Schuster loved the bye weekUSC star wide receiver Juju Smith-Schuster talks to Keely Eure about the Trojans getting back at it against Cal on Thursday night.
USC vs. California game previewGame 8: ‘Thirteen’s My Lucky Number, To You It Means Stay Inside’
Jamire Calvin isolation highlightsIsolation highlights of Los Angeles (Calif.) Cathedral wide receiver Jamire Calvin against Los Angeles (Calif.) Salesian.
Deommo Lenoir steps up, gets special visitFour-star Deommodore Lenoir put on a show in the first half of his game Friday night after getting a visit from USC head coach Clay Helton before the game.