USC is on a roll in the class of 2018 at linebacker. After receiving the commitment of Westlake Village (Calif.) Oaks Christian sophomore linebacker Bo Calvert earlier in the week, USC garnered the commitment of Harbor City (Calif.) Narbonne sophomore linebacker Raymond Scott Friday.
“I’ve seen a lot of linebackers coming in being recruited by USC, so I talked it over with my family and I decided I didn’t want to wait anymore.”
Scott still has two years until he signs a letter of intent, so while there will be a wait until he steps foot on campus as a student, he will still be on campus learning the Trojans' defense as a football player.
“Learning the defense and knowing the scheme are a big plus for me,” said Scott. “Now that’s I’ve committed I can really focus on getting better at what they do. I feel like it will give me an advantage.”
USC has four linebacker positions, and while linebacker coach Johnny Nansen has yet to give Scott specifics on where he will play, he believes he will play outside linebacker.
“I went to practice and see that USC runs a defense very similar to what we run at Narbonne,“ said Scott. “I feel like I can really fit in there well. They think I might look the best at the outside linebacker position.”
The recruiting process has seen more and more early commitments only to be coupled with more de-commitments. Scott is excited about his pledge to USC, but will still entertain interest from other programs.
“I’m still going to take my visits and respect other schools that come after me, but as of now, it’s all about Fight On!,” said Scott. “
For USC fans who don’t know much about the sophomore linebacker, he previewed his potential contribution to the Trojans football program.
“I’m a positive guy that likes to get stuff done,” said Scott. “I want to go to USC and bring a championship back home. That’s the kind of guy I am. I want to succeed and lead my team to a title.”