* Visits went well for the SC coaches at the end of last week at the schools for Justin King, Eugene Monroe and Brian Cushing. Following those visits, Pete Carroll and Lane Kiffin caught a 5:00am flight on the East Coast last Saturday (2:00am West Coast time) in order to be at the Nike Camp in Palo Alto. King has confirmed that he will be attending the USC camp in June. The Trojan coaches have shown interest in Cushing as a safety in addition to linebacker.
* Nick Howell appears set as the top OL prospect in the state. Nick has also confirmed that he will be attending the June SC camp as he looks to nail down an offer from the Trojans.
* Pete Carroll has been making the rounds of the top local high schools in Southern California recently with visits to Mission Viejo, Hart and LB Poly among others.
* At Mission Viejo, Mark Sanchez is continuing to receive a lot of recruiting attention and at this point he could end up being as highly recruited as any QB in the nation. Sanchez has made great strides in the off-season and has really wowed coaches and evaluators at various camps with his mechanics and performances on the field. The Trojans have cooled lately on his Diablo teammate Kevin Bemoll and it appears as if Kevin is set on leaving the state. There is still interest in DE Ryan Williams although there are rumors on the Ohio State site that he has committed to the Buckeyes.
* USC will recruit Kyle Reed as an athlete but they have not offered him as a quarterback. The Trojans have also not offered Nyan Boateng despite earlier reports from him that he had been offered.
* Two relatively new names who jumped out at the Stanford Nike Camp were RB Richard Murrell (San Bernardino) and WR Bret Lockett (Diamond Bar). Expect these two to receive a lot more recruiting attention this fall.
* Pete Carroll called Kevin Thomas last week to offer a scholarship after Thomas performed so well at the SC camp last month. There is also continued interest in Robert Peele as a corner.
* It remains to be seen how hard the Trojans will recruit Michael Ray Garvin from New Jersey but there's no denying that he's an exciting player. Michael Ray has terrific speed and cover ability, he's only 5-8.5 but he's physically solid and comes from a top program.
* Kevin Ellison is a steady player who could end up getting consideration from the Trojans as an OLB.
* The talk among recruiting people at the Nike Camp was that Ekom Udofia is leaning heavily to USC at this point and it would almost be a surprise if he didn't end up a Trojan.
* Desean Jackson and Rey Muaulaga were the top USC recruits at the Nike Camp and both performed well. Jackson was perhaps the top guy at the camp and Rey looked good despite being hampered by a minor hamstring injury.