The main theme of the dinner was competition. Pete and his staff are constantly looking for ways to push his players at every position. The current players are forced to watch film of the incoming freshman and JC players. He wants the current players to realize that they have to constantly be defending their starting position. All recruits are told that you are going to be given a chance to come in and play your first year. The entire returning varsity is told that they will always have to defend their position.
Now some bullet points on the dinner.
- Pete was hoping that JD Booty would provide some competition to Matt Leinart, yet Matt just came out firing. The decision on redshirting JD has not been made.
- John Drake is coming along, yet his weight is up. He has a chance to be an all American. Yet, he isn't close to being one right now.
- Byers is going to be special. He spent his spring break hanging out with the team. He expects to start.
- Scott Ware is coming in and looking great. He is hoping that Ware will push Bing.
- Leach is going to have a great year. Pete had great things to say about him.
- Schweiger will push Frostee early on.
- Not worried at corner. Pete mentioned that we have more depth and experience there than at any other year.
- BMW. Pete is always on the side of his players. Mike is a Trojan and Pete will always defend a Trojan. Mike has submitted everything to the NCAA and we will just have to wait 3-4 weeks. Maybe sooner.
- Line may not have the experience that last year's line had, yet at this point the line is stronger and more athletic than last year's line.
- Player that Pete is most looking forward to seeing…Keith Rivers.
- Pete mentioned that Powdrell, Byers, Rivers and Ware are now on campus.
Funny comment on why we lost the Cal Game. Pete said that the team arrived at Cal's stadium early and he had a chance to walk up and look over the stadium at his old house out in Marin. He told the crowd that he wouldn't do that again….next question.
On reloading like Miami. Are we there yet? Well, Miami had 22 first round picks in 4 years. We aren't there yet, however, we are closer.
That's about it. Garrett spoke about our 4 national titles and really thanked Pete for winning the national title. Many people (including myself) doubted Garrett's move in hiring Pete, yet Garrett should receive credit when credit is due. He hired the best coach in college football at a time when most of us wanted Dennis Erickson.