* Chilo Rachal received clearance from the NCAA and returned to practice this week. There has not been any final word on either Thomas Herring or Eugene Germany although Herring is expected to be cleared sometime soon. Derrick Jones did not meet all the requirements and is expected to attend junior college this fall.
* John David Booty has still not been able to return to action after knocking his elbow against a teammate in practice two weeks ago. It's unclear when Booty will be back at full strength.
* Drew Radovich, who has seen practice time at both left guard and left tackle, saw a lot of action at right guard this week and performed well. Drew doesn't care what spot he plays, he just wants to see the field as soon as possible and he helped himself this week.
* Scott Ware took part in full contact drills in practice this week after missing some time due to concussion symptoms. Ware has been active when he's on the field and he could see increased playing time next week, especially if Darnell Bing's shoulder continues to give him problems.
* There has been no progress in the sexual assault investigation case. Hershel Dennis remains suspended although Pete Carroll says he has a time frame in mind for reinstatement. The LAPD is expected to make an announcement soon on if they will be asking for charges to be filed or not.
* Several USC coaches will hit the road this weekend to get started on the fall recruiting period. September 1st was the first day coaches could contact recruits by phone and with a bye this weekend the Trojans will head around the country to see some of the top recruits on the wish list. Among those who will be targeted include WR/DB Derrick Williams (Roosevelt HS, MD), WR Patrick Turner (Goodpasture HS, TN), CB Justin King (Gateway HS, PA) and DT Ekom Udofia (Chaparral HS, AZ). The coaches will also attend several junior college games. The majority of Southern California high school teams don't start play until next week.
* USC verbal commit Mark Sanchez will be part of the opening HS game of the week broadcast on Fox Sports Net next Thursday. Mission Viejo and Los Alamitos, ranked #1 and #2 in Orange County, will be televised at 11:00pm on Thursday, September 9th on Fox Sports Net.
* John Walker spent time at receiver this week and performed well. He played receiver in high school but has strictly been a defensive back during his USC career.
* Several young Trojans got extended looks in practice this week during the bye session. Among those who impressed the coaches were Keith Rivers, Jeff Byers, Eric Wright, Fred Davis and Terrell Thomas.
* Rashaad Goodrum, a transfer DE from Valley College, returned to practice for the first time this week since the opening day. He missed fall camp due to a knee injury but had a nice couple days of practice this week.
* LenDale White missed two days of practice this week due to flu-like symptoms.
* Dwayne Jarrett was excused from the Monday practice to stay on the East Coast an extra day with his family.
* Jason Mitchell took part in his first practices since the early days of fall camp after sitting out while waiting for an academic ruling.
* There is no update on the eligibility status of safety Greg Farr.