The offensive line unit was the first group to hit the field as they arrived and headed straight toward their usual practice spot next to the right field stands of Dedeaux Field. The rest of the team followed a few minutes later and soon the warm-up session began and things got real spirited as some thunder and lightning (not Reggie and LenDale) brought howls and cheers from the players as they were in their stretching lines. Pete Carroll walked among the players with a smile on his face a mile wide as the coach was clearly enjoying the elements for the opening of practice.
The highlight of the day was the performance of sophomore running back Chauncey Washington who had two long touchdowns (one running, one receiving) during the team scrimmage drills at the end of the day. Chauncey also added another long TD run during an earlier run drill on Brian Kennedy Field. Chauncey ran with authority and he gave clear notice that he is back and ready to compete for playing time.
Another bright spot in the backfield was Michael Coleman. The freshman had some troubles getting the handoff from quarterback early in the day but once the ball was in his hands it's easy to see that he has a bright future at the spot. He's physically solid and runs hard.
Some other highlights included:
* Lane Kiffin was vocal as he led the offense through the walk-through drill at the beginning of the practice.
* John David Booty looked solid and made some very nice throws. He had one completion to Grieg Carlson that brought Pete Carroll off the sidelines to give Carlson a chest bump for the grab. Rocky Hinds seemed to be moving a little gingerly with his knee and a lot of throws sailed on him today.
* Fred Davis had a real nice catch along the sideline where he went down to get the ball and slid about five yards out of bounds through a puddle of water.
* Ryan Ting had an interception of a Booty pass.
* Eric Wright made perhaps the best defensive play of the day when he had a pass break-up over the middle.
* The players were so drenched toward the end of the day that several of them (including Whitney Lewis, Chris McFoy and Lawrence Jackson) took off their soaked sweatpants and went through the rest of the practice in shorts. Whitney wrung out his sweats after taking them off and the water poured off.
* Mark Sanchez, Will Harris and Cary Harris were in attendance.
* The first group offensive line was Baker, Byers, Kalil, Matua, Lutui. Kyle Williams got work as the #2 LT with Winston Justice at RT. Chilo Rachal and Drew Radovich both got work at RG.
* Ashton White was not in attendance and at this point it is unclear if he will take part in drills or not.
* Oscar Lua took the reps as #1 middle linebacker with Thomas Williams as the #2 guy at that spot.
Tight ends go through drills
Trojans stretch before practice