There was also one position change as Chris Barrett has moved to defensive end and he has also changed from #9 to #91. I talked with Chris after practice and he said the coaches approached him this morning about the possible switch and he was fine with it. He said the number change was done for the sake of change to go along with his new position.
A few players not at practice were Whitney Lewis, Jeff Schweiger, Sed Ellis and Ryan Powdrell. Justin Wyatt and Jeff Byers were both dressed in jerseys but no pads. Michael Coleman was back at practice after missing the Friday practice due to a high school dance. Coleman said he would rather have been at practice on Friday but Pete Carroll has told Michael and Kevin Ellison that he wants them to attend the spring high school functions so they can experience those events with their friends. Michael also said he is fine with the physical aspect of competing on the Trojan practice field so far and he says the primary thing he needs to work on is the knowledge of the plays and pass blocking schemes.
LaJuan Ramsey is up to 295 pounds although he said his goal is to be at 275-280 by the time the season rolls around. LaJuan continues to perform well and he had some good battles with Fred Matua in the lineman one on one drills. Lawrence Miles and Chilo Rachal also had some nice competition with each one winning on back to back plays. Tiny Malu and Fili Moala were a couple big boys who battled hard as well. Deuce Lutui basically swallowed Rashaad Goodrum into his chest on one pass rush attempt and didn't let him near the bag.
Here are a few of the highlight plays from practice:
* John David Booty took almost all the snaps today as Rocky Hinds did not throw (Michael McDonald took the additional reps). John David had one of his better days, he was behind on some mid-range throws but overall it was a good performance that saw him also hit several long passes. He went long to Steve Smith early in the team drill including one time when Josh Pinkard and Terrell Thomas had Steve double teamed and Steve turned into a DB to break the pass up with Pinkard and Thomas colliding in the air. Smith had perhaps his best practice of the spring.
* Booty also hit Desmond Reed with a TD pass as he outraced Brandon Ting to the end zone. Desmond also had a nifty run up the middle where he showed off a few of his moves.
* Booty hit David Kirtman with another TD pass.
* Jimmy Miller had his best practice of the spring with a couple deep catches in passing drills. He also ended the day with a TD catch from Booty thanks in part to a nice block in the backfield by Reed on a blitzing Brandon Ting.
* Scott Ware had his usual big hit, this time against Grieg Carlson after a short pass in the team drill.
* Lawrence Jackson and Goodrum both had sacks.
* Josh Pinkard did a great job to read a trick play well and he stopped it from developing.
* Chauncey Washington had a short TD run. He also broke off a 25 yard run in an early drill on Brian Kennedy Field.
* Mario Danelo made a 37 yard field goal.
* Oscar Lua had a terrific stop on a Chauncey run where Lua filled the hole and held the play to no gain. Oscar also intercepted a McDonald pass which was headed for Smith.
* Keith Rivers showed his pursuit speed all day.
* Chris Barrett tackled Reed behind the line on a screen pass.
* Booty hit Dwayne Jarrett on a pair of deep passes over the middle. They also hooked up for a 12 yard TD in a passing drill. Dwayne is so long it makes it very tough for a defender to cover him and he is now up to 205 pounds so he is more of a physical presence.
* Will Buchanon caught a nice 25 yard completion from Booty.
* Kevin Ellison batted away a deep pass intended for Chris McFoy.
Among the guests in attendance today were John and Petros Papadakis, Mark Sanchez, Brian Cushing, Luthur Brown, recruits Jovon Hayes and Mort Johnson (LB) from Dorsey HS and Leland Myers from Lynwood HS.
Happy Birthday to Ryan Kalil.