For the most part this spring we have seen Reggie get limited action as the coaches have taken a longer look at running backs like Chauncey Washington, Desmond Reed and Michael Coleman but today Reggie was a major part of the offensive attack and it didn't take long for him to flash his gamebreaking form. One of the first drills of each practice takes place on Brian Kennedy Field and today Reggie took a handoff on the opening play and raced around left end for a long touchdown (key blocks on the play by Sam Baker and Drew Radovich). Reggie later had a terrific catch of a ball near the sideline as Rocky Hinds basically floated a deep pass and Bush outleaped the cornerback for the ball. A couple other nice plays included a 25 yard run and a shorter run where he lowered his shoulder and got the better of contact with Brandon Ting.
John David Booty looked particularly sharp today as well. During the passing skeleton drill he opened things up by throwing a rope over the middle to Steve Smith as he was right between two defenders, it was a terrific pass. He also had a touchdown to Des Reed, a deep slant to Smith for 15 yards and a 25 yard completion to William Buchanon where "Buch" helped him out by extending his long arms for the grab.
Other highlights of the day were as follows:
* Scott Ware arrived just as Steve Smith was trying to pull in a pass across the middle and the Ware hit was enough to cause the pass to fall incomplete. It's to the point where Scott is making these hits on a routine basis.
* David Kirtman continued his solid play. He had one catch where he broke a few tackles (and held on to the ball after a solid hit from Oscar Lua) and the coaches rewarded him on the next play with a rare carry.
* Buchanon had perhaps the best catch of the day when he reached over Jim Abbott to haul in a long 33 yard completion from Rocky Hinds.
* Thomas Williams had good pressure on a blitz which forced Booty to throw early to Dale Thompson and the pass fell incomplete.
* Chauncey Washington broke a long run but at the end of the play Brandon Ting was able to strip the ball away. Chauncey came back two plays later with a 15 yard run.
* LaJuan Ramsey knocked down a Booty pass at the line of scrimmage.
* Greig Carlson caught a deep out pattern from Hinds.
* Terrell Thomas, Michael Stuart and Jim Abbott all had sacks.
* Mario Danelo made a 38 yard field goal to end practice. He missed earlier from 44 yards.
* Ryan Powdrell had a pick of Hinds.
Among the notables in attendance today were Mark Sanchez, Luthur Brown, Charles Brown, Walker Lee Ashley, Nick Howell, Pat Howell, David Newbury, Rod Dedeaux and Scott Huber. Dallas Sartz sat out practice with a sore back while Sed Ellis missed due to academic commitments. Kirk Herbstreit from ESPN was also there filming a piece on the Trojans and he was reminded by several fans that he picked Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl. Collin Cowherd from ESPN radio was also there. One recruit in attendance was DL Toby Turpin from Los Alamitos who is expected to be one of the top defenders in Orange County next season.