* Good to see Bernard Riley in attendance. Bernard is at 320 lbs right now and is very solid physically. He said he is looking forward to speaking at the WeAreSC dinner on March 19th.
* Some of the signees at practice were Ryan Kalil, Alex Morrow, Lawrence Jackson and John Drake.
* One of the top recruits on the day was DE/LB Eugene Germany from Pomona HS. Eugene is 6-3, 250 and has already been offered by UCLA although he considers the Trojans his favorite. Two of his Pomona teammates who were also there were Keston Cheatham, a 6-3, 195 safety who runs a 4.5 and has a 3.4 GPA, and Paul Thomas, an athlete who can play CB, WR or RB and he has some Trojan ties. Paul is a cousin to both Terrell Thomas and former sprinter James Sanford.
* In some kicking drills Ryan Kileen sure looked good but the JC transfer struggled. Tommy Huff had some really nice punts as well.
* Frostee Rucker is establishing himself as a defensive end and it's so nice to see an end with that type of speed. On one play he came on a rush and Brandon Hance gave him a pump fake, Frostee bit slightly and then still had enough speed to land and chase down Hance before he could get to the corner. Frostee also beat Kyle Williams badly in one blocking drill. In that same blocking drill Lenny Vandermade did a good job against LaJuan Ramsey and Mike Patterson was stopped by Norm Katnik. Patterson and Katnik have some good battles and Norm is looking as big as we've seen from him in his Trojan career. Kyle Williams ended the drill with a solid effort to stop Kenechi Udeze but, other than that play, Kenechi looks great so far this spring.
* A few of the notable plays in the scrimmage situations to end the day included Chris Bocage picking off a pass from Billy Hart. Darnell Bing dropped an interception that was basically right in his hands that would have gone for a touchdown after he made a good jump on the ball. Hershel Dennis caught a pass out of the backfield and put a good stutter step move on Bing to gain extra yardage. Mike Williams caught a nice pass over the middle when he had good extension, Mike is playing with a lot of confidence right now. Walk-on safety Greg Farr made a couple plays. Udeze read a screen pass to Hershel and hustled to the flat for a loss on the play. Ramsey had a sack. Jason Leach broke quickly on a ball over the middle and knocked the ball away. Matt Cassel hit Mike Williams with a beautiful deep slant pass.
* The final play of the day was a touchdown pass from Hance to Justin Wyatt. Hance rolled around against a good rush and threw a duck that kind of fluttered as it travelled 45 yards in the air. Wyatt made a terrific adjustment to catch the ball just past the outstretched arms of Bing for the score.
Spring Ball day two
USCFootball.com Top Stories
Miller having big yearC.J. Miller may not have five-stars next to his name, but he is proving to be a top performer this season for McEachern High School.
USC vs. Utah Game HighlightsThe Trojans lost a heart breaker in Utah, but it wasn't all bad for the Trojans. Check out these USC highlights shot by Keely Eure at field level.
USCFootball.comYesterday at 3:22 PM
Peristyle Podcast on the loss to UtahCoach Harvey Hyde shares his thoughts on USC’s heartbreaking loss to Utah and the Trojans disappointing 1-3 start to the season.
USCFootball.comYesterday at 1:51 PM
USC in top 7 for West's top DTWest's top defensive tackle, Jay Tufele, cuts down his list of potential universities to seven, including USC and three other Pac-12 schools.
USCFootball.comSaturday at 3:09 PM