AP Story- Utah 30 Washington State 27 (OT)

White leads Utah past Washington State 30-27 in Pullman

Washington State linebacker Alex Hoffman-Ellis has some regrets as his college football career draws to a close.

''I'll never really know what a bowl feels like as a player,'' Hoffman-Ellis said Saturday, after Utah killed WSU's hopes of going to a bowl game with a 30-27 overtime win.

Washington State does have one game left, next weekend against arch rival Washington.

''That's going to be our bowl game,'' Hoffman-Ellis said.

Embattled Washington State coach Paul Wulff said that to remain in the bowl picture this late in the season showed how much improvement his team has made in four seasons.

Washington State got down to Utah's 1-yard line with a couple seconds left on the clock in regulation, and Wulff said he considered going for the touchdown and the win. But he decided the right decision was to have Andrew Furney kick a short field goal to send the game into overtime.

Washington State suffered four interceptions, one in overtime, and lost one fumble, and the five turnovers were too much against a team as good as Utah, Wulff said.

Utah's Coleman Petersen kicked a 38-yard field goal in the first overtime to give the Utes the win in a driving snowstorm.

''I keep my head clear and get through it,'' Petersen said.

Petersen's third field goal gave Utah (7-4, 4-4 Pac-12) its fourth straight win.

Utah's John White ran for 186 yards and two touchdowns in the game, gaining the majority of his yards in the second half.

''I've never been in a game like that in my life,'' White said, noting the numerous lead changes. ''We made the last play and we won the game.''

Utah defensive end Derrick Shelby noted the Utes could have ended the game in regulation if they didn't give up 10 points in the final 3:14. But the win was the most important thing, Shelby said.

''After we started 0-4 in the Pac-12 play, now we are 4-4,'' Shelby said.

Washington State quarterback Connor Halliday, who made a big splash with his debut last week, struggled against one of the league's top defenses.

''He made some mistakes, but he made some great plays too,'' Wulff said of the freshman.

Washington State got the first possession of overtime, and Halliday was intercepted by Mo Lee, his second of the game.

Utah took over and White ran three times for a total of 4 yards. Then Petersen kicked the game-winner.

The temperature was 27 at kickoff, with mild winds and snowfall, making it difficult for both teams to gain yards on offense.

The Utes are 7-0 in games where White has rushed for 100 yards or more. He leads the Pac-12 with 16 total touchdowns.

Halliday, who came off the bench to throw for 494 yards and four touchdowns in the Cougars' upset of Arizona State last weekend, completed 21 of 48 passes for 290 yards.

The game was scoreless until Utah tried a fake punt, with Sean Sellwood instead firing a 49-yard touchdown pass to Luke Matthews, who weaved into the end zone with 1:47 left in the first half.

Washington State replied with its best drive of the half, covering 77 yards and ending when Halliday hit Marquess Wilson for a 6-yard touchdown pass to tie the score at 7 at halftime.

Snow started to pour down as the second half started, obscuring the yardage numbers on the field.

Utah fumbled on its second possession and C.J. Mizell recovered for WSU on the Utes' 24. The Cougars drove to the 3, but had to settle for Andrew Furney's 20-yard field goal and a 10-7 lead.

Utah replied with a crisp drive that ended with Petersen's 33-yard field goal that tied the score at 10.

After a WSU punt, Utah mounted another drive, highlighted by a 43-yard pass from Jon Hays to DeVonte Christopher. Petersen's 45-yard field goal gave Utah a 13-10 lead early in the fourth.

Utah punted, but Leon Brooks muffed the catch and Utah's Patrick Greene recovered on WSU's 37. White pounded it into the end zone from the 3 for a 20-10 Utah lead with 7:15 left.

Washington State replied on its first play from scrimmage, a reverse in which receiver Kristoff Williams fired a 47-yard touchdown pass to Bobby Ratliff to cut Utah's lead to 20-17 with 6:56 left.

Utah came right back on its first play, as White ran 56 yards down the left sideline for a touchdown and a 27-17 Utah lead.

Washington State replied with a 74-yard drive that ended on a 9-yard touchdown pass from Halliday to Jared Karstetter, cutting Utah's lead to 27-24 with 3:14 left.

Utah had to punt, and WSU got a final chance with 52 seconds left and no timeouts from its own 26. Halliday threw completions of 23 and 43 yards to Karstetter and Furney kicked an 17-yard field goal with 3 seconds left to send the game into overtime.

Ute Zone Top Stories