Television: The mtn. (James Bates and Blaine Fowler)
Radio: Sports Radio 700 The Zone (Bill Riley, Mark Rydalch, Scott Gerrard)
Overall: Utah leads 124-118
Current Streak: Utah has won 2
Last Meeting: Utah won 74-70 on March 9, 2006 the in MWC Quarterfinals in Denver, Colo.
BYU at a glance
The Cougars are 15-6 overall and tied for second place in the Mountain West Conference with a 5-2 mark in league play. The Cougars are 2-5 on opponents' home courts and 2-6 away from home overall this season.
Senior forward Keena Young (6-6, 215) leads BYU in scoring (16.1 ppg) and is second in rebounding (6.5 rpg). He is shooting 54.2 percent from the field and 86.1 percent from the free throw line. Sophomore forward Trent Plaisted (6-11, 245) is second in on the team in scoring (12.7 ppg) and first in rebounds (6.7 rpg) and blocked shots (31). Sophomore guard Lee Cummard (6-6, 175) is tied for third on the team in scoring (9.2 ppg) while shooting 50.0 percent from beyond the arc (29-for-58). Cummard is also third in rebounds (5.8 rpg) and second in assists (3.0 apg). Senior guard Austin Ainge (6-2, 180) leads BYU in assists (4.0 apg). Ainge is also shooting 49.2 percent (31-for-63) from 3-point range and averaging 6.5 points per game.
BYU ranks first in the Mountain West Conference in scoring offense (76.8 ppg), fourth in scoring defense (67.1 ppg), first in rebound margin (+5.7 rpg), first in field goal percentage defense (42.1), third in 3-point field goal percentage (40.4) and first in assists (16.14 apg).
UTAH VS. BYU SERIES NOTES
• Utah and BYU meet for the 243rd time on Wednesday night. The Utah vs. BYU series ranks 10th among NCAA Division I rivalries in the number of games played.
• The Cougars are the Utes' oldest rivals in a series that dates back to a 32-9 win by BYU on Jan. 23, 1909 in Provo, Utah.
• The Utes lead the all-time series 124-118, winning 22 of the last 27 meetings, eight of the last 10, and two in a row.
• In Salt Lake City, the Utes have a 72-46 advantage and have won 12 in a row. Their last loss to BYU at home was 64-62 on Jan. 8, 1994.
• Utah took two of its three games with BYU in 2005-06. The Cougars snapped Utah's three-game winning streak in the series with a 72-60 win on Jan. 7 in Provo, Utah. The Utes then defeated BYU 79-60 on Feb. 8 in Salt Lake City. The rivals met for a third time in the quarterfinals of the Mountain West Conference Tournament. Utah won 74-70 on March 9 in Denver, Colo.
• In conference regular season play, Utah has a 119-112 edge. Since the formation of the Mountain West Conference in 1999-2000, Utah leads 10-4.
• Ray Giacoletti is 4-1 against BYU with all of those games coming during his tenure at Utah.
• Dave Rose is 1-2 against Utah with all of those games taking place last season.
COMPARING THE NUMBERS
Utah BYU Overall Record 7-13 15-6 MWC Record 2-5 5-2 Scoring 69.8 76.8 Scoring Defense 69.9 67.2 FG% .486 .474 FG% Defense .490 .421 3-Pt. FG% .426 .404 3-Pt. FG% Defense .457 .330 FT% .732 .677 Rebound Margin +4.3 +5.7 Assists 14.1 16.1 Turnovers 13.9 14.2 Opp. Turnovers 11.6 15.0 Steals 5.1 6.2 Blocked Shots 2.1 3.7