"The assistant coaches got after us at the half a little bit and motivated us. They told to just go out there and compete and have fun, and play harder than them. Obviously it worked, so we came out with the win. They told us at halftime that we had six and a half games left. We didn't play Utah basketball in the first half and since we were only down six or seven points at the half, Coach [Giacoletti] told us that we were still in the game; we just had to get stops."
Utah Forward Shaun Green
"I hope we can keep it going and going into next week. We got a big speech at halftime from the assistant coaches, and we basically looked each other in the eye and just said `let's go out and play as hard as possible.' We came out and played defense--I think one of the best halves we've ever played effort wise-- and it just worked out for us."
Utah Head Coach Ray Giacoletti
"I am happy about the win, but I would like to know the reasons for why the second half was so different. I saw energy and people were talking and were into it in the second half. Daniel [Deane] brings great energy defensively, and rebounding the basketball. Hopefully we can get him to play a few more minutes before fouling out, but you can't put a price tag on that energy. Our defense and energy were alive out there [in the second half]. We worked the last couple of days with press-offs. You couldn't have told it in the first half, but second half we executed what we needed to do to get the ball and beat the pressure."
Colorado State Head Coach Dale Layer
"We lost our composure in crucial moments. We played a pretty good game, but not good enough."
"We've got to find a way to turn it up to pull out wins."
"Utah's ability to knock down threes gave them great momentum. That got the crowd back into it."
"They've got a good basketball team here and they continue to improve."
"We're being bitten by one or two things, every game, every half. We're not far off from winning all these games, so we've got to continue to improve because we're really close."
• Utah and Colorado State met for the 137th time tonight. The two teams have met annually since 1969-70 with the exception of the 1998-99 season.
• The Runnin' Utes now lead the all-time series 96-42 and have won 11 of the last 15 meetings. However, the Rams had won three in a row before tonight's loss games in the series.
• In Salt Lake City, the Utes are 53-15 against Colorado State.
• Colorado State was the ninth team to shoot at least 50 percent from the field against the Utes this season with Utah winning for the first time.
• Utah shot at least 40 percent from 3-point range for the 12th time this season, moving to 6-6 in those games. This was the 10th time Utah shot 50 percent or better from 3-point range. The Utes made at least 40 percent of their 3-pointers tonight for the first time in the last five games.
• The Utes outrebounded their opponent for the 16th time overall this season and the seventh time in 10 Mountain West Conference games.
• Utah is now 7-5 in the Huntsman Center this season. The Utes have won three in a row at home.
• Sophomore forward Shaun Green had his 16th double-figure scoring game on the season. He hadn't reached double-figures in the last three games.
• Sophomore center Luke Nevill had his 20th double-figure scoring game of the season and his fifth in a row.
• Junior guard Johnnie Bryant had his 20th double-figure scoring game of the season, his second in a row and his ninth in the last 10 games.
• Johnnie Bryant also tied a career-high with seven assists. He also had seven against Rice earlier this season.