• Utah and UNLV met for the 35th time on Saturday afternoon. The Utes had their lead in the series trimmed to 18-17. The Rebels have won four in a row over the Utes, taking both games last season and this season.
• The Runnin' Utes still have 10-4 edge in games played in Salt Lake City. UNLV has taken the last two games in the Huntsman Center after Utah had won seven in a row.
• Utah fell to 7-6 at home this season after winning its last three in the Huntsman Center. The last time the Utes lost at least six home games in a season was 1988-89 when they went 11-7.
• The Utes suffered their worst home loss in conference play (13 points) since falling to Wyoming by an identical 70-57 on Feb. 22, 1992.
• The Utes fell to 2-16 when tied or trailing at the half this season.
• After Utah led 19-12 with 9:26 to play in the first half, it didn't score a field goal for nearly 8-1/2 minutes until Johnnie Bryant hit a 3-pointer with 1:01 remaining. As a result, UNLV ended the first half on a 21-6 run.
• The Rebels had a 16-0 run early in the second half. After the Utes cut the Rebels' lead to 33-30 with 18:04 to play in the game, they went until the 13:13 mark without scoring while UNLV built a 49-30 lead.
• Utah fell to 4-13 when opponents shoot at least 40 percent from 3-point range. UNLV is the 12th team to shoot at least 50 percent from 3-point range and the third to shoot 60 percent or better from beyond the arc. The Rebels are the 10th team to hit at least 10 3-pointers against the Utes.
• The Utes shot at least 40 percent from 3-point range for the 12th time this season, falling to 5-7 in those games.
• Junior guard Johnnie Bryant had his 21st double figure scoring game of the season and his third in the last three games.
• Sophomore center Luke Nevill had his 22nd double-figure scoring game of the season and his fifth in a row. Nevill also tied a career-high with four assists.
• Sophomore forward Shaun Green had his 18th double-figure scoring of the season. It was his second in the last six games.
• Freshman guard Curtis Eatmon suffered a broken nose in the first half and did not return.
Utah Guard Johnnie Bryant
"We started off strong, but they [UNLV] got a bunch of transitions and a couple of offensive rebounds. And then, like it has been all year, once one thing goes wrong, then everything just compounds. We just have to try to find a way to fight through it and get stops on the defensive end so we won't be under pressure on the offensive end and feel like we have to make plays just to get points on the board."
Utah Center Luke Nevill
"I just think that we had a mental lapse and we just don't play defense. They get a few shots off of transition or they get a few points, and then instead of us stopping it there, they just keep going and it just keeps fueling their runs. We just have to learn how to stop it early, or it gets out of control like it did tonight. It is frustrating for this to happen at home. We had this game from the start and we were playing really well, but defensively we just kind of gave up I guess, and that just killed us."
Utah Head Coach Ray Giacoletti
"We talked about pride and effort--and at the very minimum to respect the game enough to give that kind of effort--and communication, things you can control. We can't trust each other defensively because we do things differently every time. You have to be able to trust each other and to be able to talk, and for whatever reason we have not done a very good job getting them to talk."
UNLV Head Coach Lon Krueger
"I'm happy for Joe [Darger]. He did a great job and made shots in front of family and friends and that was good to see. It is a good sign for down the stretch.
"I'm very pleased; the guys stepped up and made shots. We hit buckets in transition and shot well from the perimeter."
"We managed the game very well. Only four turnovers the whole game and we'd take that anytime."
"Our guys did a good job of mixing them up and keeping Utah guessing all game."
"Wink [Adams] was great. He drove well, rebounded well and shot well today."
"It's always good to win on the road and in this conference it's very tough to win on the road. This is a good win for us here."