Vanderbilt lands Nashville defensive back

Andrew Rector sat on the news he had committed to Vanderbilt for about a week, then the 6-foot-1, 195-pound defensive back out of Nashville's Father Ryan High School made it public the night before the Commodores match-up with arch-rival, Tennessee. spoke with Rector on how his recruitment led to Vanderbilt's 13th commitment for the Class of 2015.

"I've always been a Vanderbilt Commodore fan," Rector said. "I grew up in Tampa so I'm not too sure how exactly it all got started. When we ended up moving to Nashville, right before my freshman year of high school, then I really became a fan. I played with Coach (John) Shoop's son at Father Ryan. He was the defensive coordinator but also coached the safeties and he'd come out and coach me up. So, I started to like Vanderbilt more and more being around the program.

"It was actually the night before game number seven when I received the offer. My recruiter was Karl Dorrell but it was Brett Maxie, the secondary coach, who I spoke with the most during the recruiting process. He told me that they were impressed with my overall knowledge of the game. I'm someone who can come in and be that vocal leader that they're looking for to take command of the defense out there on the field. They just like a lot of the things I'm doing at safety and told me they see me making an immediate impact at the nickel.

"I've been silently committed [to Vanderbilt] for about a week when I told Coach Mason. I decided to go public with it right before the Tennessee game and called Coach Maxie to give him the good news. It fee;s great. It feels like I made the right decision. It wouldn't matter who else offers me at this point, I'd stay with Vanderbilt. It where I've wanted to play for a long time and I can't wait for it to be next season."

Rector's first D-1 offer came by way of UT-Martin in his junior year. This summer he thought he had found a home at Wake Forest and gave a mid-July commitment to Dave Clawson's staff, but decided to reopen his recruiting in the fall. Seven games into the season, and the night before receiving his Vanderbilt offer, Rector caught a bad break, suffering a broken ankle. The injury didn't deter Vanderbilt from pushing for a commitment.

"The season was going pretty well," said Rector. "I had 50-plus tackles, two interceptions, six pass breakups, and four forced fumbles. It was early in the game when I actually broke the fibula. The doctors say everything is looking good and I'll make a full recovery. I'm not going to play any other sports this spring, just focus on conditioning and be ready for my freshman season at Vanderbilt.

"Being in Nashville, I've been able to go to four or five Commodore games. I've gotten a chance to see what they're doing defensively and think I'll have no trouble adapting to it next year because it's the exact same one we run at Father Ryan."

In addition to his Vanderbilt and Wake Forest offers, Rector also held offers from New Mexico State, UT-Martin, and Western Kentucky, where his father, Steve, played collegiately.

Discuss this story with other Vandy fans in the VandyMania forums: