Here is a breakdown of the prospects that the Vanderbilt coaches have their eyes on and some others who are now backup plans but could find themselves a spot down the line.
CB/S JoeJuan Williams - Hendersonville HS (TN): Williams remains the top overall target for Vanderbilt and he holds a spot in this class if or when he ever wants to join. He isn’t close to making any decisions but Vandy remains in the thick of things.
OT Grayson Stover - Hudson HS (FL): A recent de-commitment from Virginia, Stover is highly interested in Vanderbilt and plans to officially visit Nashville sometime this fall. The Dores are battling Maryland and Indiana for Stover’s services.
OL/DL Coy Cronk - Central Catholic HS (IN): Cronk is expected to visit Nashville sometime this week or next. The Hoosier State lineman is also seriously considering Indiana along with Vanderbilt. Right now his plan is to commit before the start of his season. Vandy likes Cronk for the defensive line.
S Zaire Jones - Meridian HS (MS): Currently committed to Miss State, Jones has been in talks with the Vandy coaches and appears quite interested in the Dores. Jones could very well visit Vanderbilt sometime soon and if he does, the Commodores may have a shot with him.
RB Trevor Speights - Memorial HS (TX): Speights could be considered a long shot for Vandy as Stanford and Texas A&M look like the teams in the lead for him but the Dores are pursuing hard and he is listening. Vandy has been on Speights trail for a while now and they may have him as their top running back target.
OL Toleafoa Auwae - Kapolei HS (HI): Vanderbilt recently offered Auwae along with UCLA but the Dores are quite high on the Hawaiian island lineman and are hoping to get him on campus for a visit. Auwae has strong thoughts about Vandy, so the longer his recruitment plays out the better chances Vandy has with him.
DE Andrew Fitzgerald - Marcus HS (TX): Fitzgerald recently announced his Top 5 schools and he included Vanderbilt. Earlier this summer he visited the campus and came away impressed. Vandy has a tough battle going to land him but he appears intrigued by the Dores and may make it back to campus again before he makes a decision.
RB Rico Dowdle - AC Reynolds HS (NC): Vanderbilt came through with an offer to Dowdle several weeks ago and he has remained high on the Dores target board ever since. Dowdle could be a ways off from making a decision but he does have high interest in Vandy and plans to visit Nashville for a game this fall.
Other Prospects to Watch
- Ath Noah Fant - Omaha South HS (NE)
- DL Jeremy Darvin - Father Ryan HS (TN)
- S Ikenna Okeke - Smyrna HS (TN)
- WR Rontavious Groves - Pearl Cohn HS (TN)
- WR C.J. Riley - North Broward Prep (FL)
- DE Christian Brooks - Centreville HS (VA)
- OLB Stephen Moye - Parkview HS (GA)
- RB Alan Lamar - DeSoto Central HS (MS)
- RB Tre Miller - Dixie HS (UT)
- 4 star JoeJuan Williams played the previous two season at Father Ryan but transferred to Hendersonville earlier this summer. His mother works and lives in Hendersonville as does Williams himself. Small problem right now is that Williams is not eligible to play for the Commandos due to a rule that says transfers must not be within 20 miles of their previous school. Hendersonville and Father Ryan evidently are close enough to where it has made Williams ineligible for the start of his senior season. Everybody involved is working to get this fixed but right now the Dores top target is not able to play.
- I had the chance to briefly catch up with Mississippi State commit Zaire Jones the other night and there does seem to be some real truth to his interest in Vanderbilt. He told he is just simply feeling Vanderbilt and wants to learn much more about them. I do feel he will visit campus at some point and I do think Vanderbilt has a strong opportunity to flip the Mississippi native.
- I also feel Vanderbilt has a great shot to land 2017 Lipscomb Academy defensive lineman Rutger Reitmaier. He could very well become the Commodores first commitment of their 2017 class. I get the sense he wants to take some time with his recruitment but also at the same time, make a decision early in the process so he doesn’t have to focus on recruiting during his senior season.
- I am still planning to have a full write up on 2017 Milan (TN) offensive tackle Jacob Rimmer about his 1st official offer from Vanderbilt. Look for this 6’7 260 pound lineman blow up in recruiting over the next 6 months. He has the size, frame, athleticism and potential to become Power 5 Conference prospect with multiple high level offers to choose from. From the little I talked with Rimmer, Vanderbilt has a real good shot to land this lineman. Others will offer eventually but the Dores being the 1st school to do so, gives them a strong opportunity at landing Rimmer.
The Anchor Insider: Top Targets Edition
VandyMania.com Top Stories
Three Keys Reviewed: Vandy-WKUThe Vanderbilt Commodores rallied to defeat Western Kentucky 31-30 in overtime on Saturday in Bowling Green. Prior to the game VandyMania.com established three keys for a…
VandyMania.comYesterday at 2:28 PM
Shakespearean Success in small-town KentuckyThe Old Bard, William Shakespeare, wrote, "The play's the thing." For the Vanderbilt football team on Saturday evening in Bowling Green, Kentucky, the plays were the thing. This…
VandyMania.comMonday at 1:17 PM
Auburn Legacy Sets Official Visit With VandyFORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. --- With a teammate that's verbally attached to the same school, 2017 pass catcher James Bostic has locked in an official visit date with a suitor out of the…
Scout FootballMonday at 7:26 AM
Vandy-WKU: The Good, Bad, UglyThe Vanderbilt Commodores (2-2) rallied to defeat Western Kentucky 31-30 in overtime on Saturday in Bowling Green, Ky. Here is a look at some of the Good, Bad, and Ugly from the…
VandyMania.comSunday at 12:01 PM