Here are the players that the Vanderbilt fans should be looking out for beginning tomorrow morning.
* Defensive Tackle: Josiah Sa’o (6’2 275) - Kearny (CA) *
- Sa’o by all accounts had an outstanding visit to Vanderbilt last weekend and really saw a fit not only with the city but with the academics and football program as well. I had the chance to talk with someone “very close” with Josiah this morning and the San Diego tackle is set to announce his decision tomorrow morning between the hours of 8 & 10 AM, Pacific time. Sa’o will choose between Arizona and Vanderbilt. This is actually pretty close to call with Sa’o and I could easily see him choosing the Wildcats or the Commodores on Wednesday. The need and fit is there for Sa’o with Vanderbilt and he really felt at home with the sudden emergence of the Poly connection on the Dores football team. He also feels at home as well with Arizona. He has been to their campus many times over this past year and they have been on him longer than anyone. Right now I am going with Vanderbilt to pull Sa’o into the class but I would not be surprised to see him stay out west in Pac 12 as well.
* Defensive End: Bradlee Anae (6’6 230) - Kahuku (HI) *
- Vanderbilt jumped into the recruiting picture for Anae late but made a good impression on him and an even better one when he officially visited on the weekend of the 16th. Now Utah State co-defensive coordinator Frank Maile was the main recruiter for Anae, so that was a small blow with his recruitment but not enough to take the Dores out of the picture. He really enjoyed his time on campus when he visited. Anae also officially visited Virginia, BYU and Utah over the past two weeks as well. From talking with a few sources over the past few days, I believe Anae has things narrowed down to Vanderbilt and Utah. BYU is the darkhorse due to past family ties but the Commodores and the Utes appear to be the finalists. As things stand right now, I think Anae will choose Utah over Vandy on signing day. If Vanderbilt is able to land Anae, it would be a huge addition because I believe the Hawaiian pass rusher has a lot of talent and the abilities to be a dominant lineman in the Dores 3-4 defense.
* Offensive Tackle: Spencer Kanz (6’7 275) - Luxemburg-Casco (WI) *
- Kanz has been committed to Western Michigan since June 6th of last year and has remained solid with his commitment since. Vanderbilt has been recruiting Kanz for some time now but not until about a month ago, did things really amp up between the two parties. Kanz did not come down South for an official visit with Vanderbilt but that doesn’t mean the Commodores and the Wisconsin tackle have not remained in talks. I do think Vanderbilt would love to add him to the 2016 class but I feel Kanz will remain solid with his commitment to the Broncos and sign with them on Wednesday. It would be a great surprise and addition if the Commodores can sway him but I don’t think it will be enough.
QB: 1 - Wallace
RB: 1 - Wakefield
WR: 3 - Winrow, Lipscomb, Tennyson
TE: 1 - Cockrell
OL: 3 - Auwae, Cochran, Kopp
DL: 2 - Tidd, Birchmeier
LB: 2 - Mintze, Hebert
CB: 3 - Williams, Hamilton, Coppet
S: 2 - Jones, Quillen
ST: 1 - Loy