There is still a long way to go before anything is settled with the 2017 class and it’s still early to determine a true target list. The Commodores staff is getting a feel for the prospects in this class and trying to determine who fits the mold of a Vanderbilt man.
SEC QB COMMIT INTERESTED IN VANDERBILT
Bolles School (FL) QB Mac Jones is currently committed to Kentucky but that hasn’t stopped others from recruiting him. Jones competed at the Orlando Nike Opening Event last weekend where he performed quite well. His performance immediately led to offers from Arizona State and Washington State with several others interested, including Vanderbilt.
Jones informed me that he has been in contact with offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig and he feels an offer could be coming his way soon. Jones is actually very interested in Vanderbilt and would love to come up for a visit very soon. Even though he is committed to Kentucky, Jones is still keeping an eye open to others and would consider a change if he feels it’s the best option for him.
TENNESSEE BACK WANTS TO HEAR MORE FROM VANDERBILT
One of the best overall prospects in the state of Tennessee for 2017 is St. George’s School running back Chase Hayden. Over the last several weeks, Hayden has added multiple big time offers and quickly became one of the most wanted backs in the country. Vanderbilt jumped into the picture early with an offer but since the calendar changed over to 2016, Hayden has not heard much from the Commodores.
I had the chance to briefly speak with Hayden recently and he admitted to me that he has not heard as much from Vanderbilt as he wants to. Hayden still has quite a bit of interest in Vanderbilt but hasn’t had the opportunity to speak with the Commodores new running backs coach, Jeff Genyk yet but hopes to very soon.
Hayden is still wide open with his recruitment but, of course, many feel Tennessee is the team to beat for him. The Vols will be tough to beat for Hayden but with offers from Michigan, Louisville, Miss State, South Carolina, Vanderbilt and interest from many others, the Memphis area star will have a tough decision to make.
DORES A DARK HORSE FOR LOCKLEAR
Spring Valley (WV) offensive tackle Riley Locklear has started to blow up on the recruiting scene and it’s way overdue. Vanderbilt offered this past week and while they may not appear to be a contender by some, the Commodores are more in the picture then some will believe.
Locklear has a lot of interest in Vanderbilt and has actually been to Nashville several times in the past. He has been to campus one time but it was only for a short time and he didn’t get see that much. The versatile lineman plans to make it back down this way very soon for the full tour and visit. Locklear has enough talents and skills to play tackle or guard on the next level and would be a good value prospect to add to anyone’s recruiting class.
So far, Locklear has received offers from Florida State, Florida Atlantic, Louisville, Marshall, Miami FL, North Carolina, Penn State, West Virginia and, of course, his lone SEC offer from Vanderbilt. Look for Locklear to add many, many more offers but keep an eye on Vanderbilt down the stretch as the Commodores academics, location and placement in the SEC will play factors with their recruitment.
RANDOM NEWS & NOTES
- Episcopal (TX) QB Seth Washington has become a fast riser as recently he picked up his first offer from North Texas. The appears to be mutual interest with Washington and Vanderbilt as the Dallas area QB will be visiting Nashville either this week or next.
- Last weekend, Eufaula (AL) defensive tackle Breon Austin visited Louisville for his first college visit of the season. This is a prospect that has yet to make a name for himself but will very soon. Austin has a lot of interest in Vanderbilt and could be a name to watch for this weekend’s Junior Day event. The Cardinals, Southern Miss, Troy and Florida Atlantic have shown interest thus far.
- Another Alabama state prospect to watch out for when it comes to Vanderbilt is Hewitt-Trussville high school cornerback David Acfalle . Just recently, Acfalle picked up his first official offer from Southern Miss and more schools will be calling soon. Acfalle spoke to me recently where he admitted that he has “a lot” of interest in Vanderbilt and could be a perfect fit. Acfalle currently holds a 3.8 GPA and he plans to take his ACT within the next several weeks. Acfalle is a physical cornerback with size (6’0 193) smarts and athleticism. Watch this kid blow up very soon
- Northview (GA) safety Chike Otaluka is taking an unofficial visit to Vanderbilt next week and will be attending a spring practice. Vanderbilt, Indiana, Tennessee, Wake Forest, UAB and Georgia State are showing interest so far. Otaluka has quite a deal of interest in Vanderbilt and is excited about his upcoming visit.
- East Paulding (Ga) offensive lineman Michael Cone will be on campus this Wednesday to visit Vanderbilt and take in a spring practice. Cone will also visit N.C. State and Tennessee next week. Cone is a massive, physical interior lineman who is beginning to make a name for himself.
WHO DID VANDY OFFER LAST WEEK?
- Woodland (GA) CB/S Lamont Wade
- Shawnee (OK) C Creed Humphrey
- Denton (TX) DE Earnest Brown IV
- Union (OK) DE Isaiah Thomas
- John Marshall (OK) CB Justin Broiles
- Pittsburg (KS) TE/DE Trevor Kent
- Central Ark.Chrst (AR) WR Joshua Johnson
- Bishop Moore (FL) OT/DL Jonathon Maccollister
- Burbank (CA) DE D.J. Johnson
- Cox (VA) DE Jordan Williams
- Spring Valley (WV) OL Riley Locklear
- Huntington (WV) OT Billy Ross
- Garner (NC) DE Matthew Butler
- Stow-Munroe Falls (OH) OL Mike Miranda
- Santa Margarita Cath (CA) TE/WR Grant Calcaterra
- Santa Margarita Cath (CA) C Brett Neilon
- Mallard Creek (Nc) OT Eric Douglas
- American Heritage (FL) LB James Houston IV
- St. Aloysius (MS) OL Ben Brown
- 2018 Paramus Cath (NJ) QB Allan Walters