Several of the staff’s top targets have committed to Vanderbilt over the past weeks, so everything seems to be coming together the way Coach Mason wanted. Multiple targets remain, so over the fall football season leading into signing day, Vanderbilt will remain active on the recruiting trail working at putting together their 2017 recruiting class.
Top Targets Going Forward
Only a handful of spots remain in the Commodores small 2017 class. Every prospect taken by the Vanderbilt coaching staff is evaluated with specifics and brought into the fold for their exact skill set and talents.
Vanderbilt will be focusing more attention on the offensive side of the ball going forward after pulling in several top targets on defense over the past several weeks.
Here are the guys Vanderbilt has their eye on headed into the fall football season.
- 4 star OT Obinna Eze : Vanderbilt will have to fight off several other high profile programs along with a few surprise schools as well but the Dores have a shot. Remaining close to home could play a factor. Eze (photo/video above) is attending “The Opening” this week in Oregon and appears nowhere close to making a commitment. Considering: Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Florida, LSU, Louisville, Memphis, Miss State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vandy
- 3 star LB Micah Awodiran : Possibly Vanderbilt’s top remaining defensive target, Awodiran is close to making a commitment. The Chicago area standout is focused on a final group of Duke, Illinois, and Vanderbilt. Awodiran could choose any of three and the decision could come anytime soon.
- 3 star Ath Kyric McGowan : Vanderbilt recently hosted McGowan along with his younger brother, Kylan McGowan. The elder brother Kyric loved his visit to Vanderbilt and will be making his commitment within the next several weeks between the Commodores and Duke. The North Georgia star could really choose either school. Could all depend on how numbers fit.
- 3 star RB Deon Jackson : The Commodores have some work to do here but they have targeted this Pace Academy (Ga) standout as their top guy at running back. Jackson has interest in Vanderbilt but currently has Duke, Louisville, Maryland, Missouri and Virginia Tech ahead of the Commodores and others at this time. Nothing seems imminent at this time for Jackson.
- 3 star OT Cole Clemens : Vanderbilt could easily take both Eze and Clemens in this class along with the current commitments of Bailey and Miller. The offensive line is an important need position for Vandy in 2017 and Clemens personally has sky rocketed up the charts for not only the Commodores but several other schools as well. Vandy right now could be the team to beat but an offer from BYU and increasing interest from Stanford, Utah, Virginia, Washington and others could keep the Bingham (UT) native’s recruitment wide open.
- 3 star WR Clevan Thomas : Vanderbilt made a recent offer to this Miami native and the Dores could have a shot at bringing this rising receiver to Nashville. Thomas appears to have a strong interest in the Commodores and might make a visit to campus sometime in the near future. Syracuse, Iowa State and a few others are contenders along with Vandy, so don’t look for Thomas to make a decision anytime soon.
- 3 star DE Brendan Bordner : This Ohio resident recently announced his Top 8 schools and Vanderbilt cracked the list. Boston College, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Navy, Rutgers, Toledo, West Virginia along with Vanderbilt are his top choices and in the fall visits look to become his plan. Vanderbilt likes Bordner a lot, especially after visiting campus in June but he is down the list a little bit due to numbers in the 2017 class.
- 3 star WR James Bostic : Teammate of current Vanderbilt commit Randall Haynie, Bostic emerged onto the Commodores radar after performing well at camp last month, where he eventually received an official offer. Bostic has offers from the likes of NC State, MTSU and Temple with interest coming from others as well. At this point, Vanderbilt appears to be the team to beat but doesn’t mean the recruitment of this 3-star Cardinal Gibbons (FL) wideout is over. Vanderbilt wants to add one, maybe two wide receivers in this class and Bostic appears to be at the top of their list.
California Athlete Looking Harder at Vanderbilt?
Bishop Mora Salesian (CA) athlete Rahyme Johnson is one of the best all-around football prospects on the west coast and the Commodores could be a team in the shadows that has a bigger shot than some may think.
Vanderbilt made an official offer to Johnson last week and the Commodore coaches see the 4-star recruit as someone who could make a difference on either side of the ball. Johnson is a superb talent standing 6’5, 210 pounds with the length, speed and sheer body size to dominate on both offense or defense.
Johnson has been seen as a long-time lean to Nebraska but he is nowhere close to making a decision which leaves the door for others, including Vanderbilt. The 4-star athlete does have an interest in Vanderbilt and it will be interesting to see what can transpire over the next several months.
The Cornhuskers have secured an official visit with Johnson on the 23rd of September and he appears willing to take all five official visits. Vanderbilt has recruited well on the west coast since Coach Mason arrived on campus and right now it looks like their efforts are working with Johnson.