The No. 4 Vanderbilt women's tennis team improved their record 3-0 as they completed a undefeated opening weekend of action with a 7-0 win over Michigan State.
The Commodores took the first point of the match as they swept the three doubles matches. With Kate Burson and Annie Menees' win at No. 2 doubles, Burson set a new Vanderbilt record with 84 career doubles victories. The record had been held by Julie Ditty (1997-2001), Burson's doubles partner last year. Vanderbilt then proceeded to sweep the singles play, as all six Commodores won their match in straight sets. Sarah Riske, Burson, Katie Blaszak, Jenny Miller, Kelly Schmandt, and Menees recorded the singles wins for Vanderbilt.
"I think we had a strong perfomance this weekend to open the season," stated Vanderbilt head coach Geoff Macdonald. "We had a chance to let everyone play and hopefully we can build upon this performance next week."
The Commodores continue their homestand next weekend as they host Rice on Saturday at 9:00 a.m. before hosting No. 25 South Alabama at noon on Sunday. Both matches will be at the Currey Tennis Center.
No. 4 Vanderbilt 7, Michigan State 0
1. Sarah Riske (VU) def. Dora Vastag (MS) 6-1, 6-1
2. Kate Burson (VU) def. Caroline Lay (MS) 6-3, 6-2
3. Katie Blaszak (VU) def. Trine Lise Julinssen (MS) 6-2, 6-3
4. Jenny Miller (VU) def. Keri Thompson (MS) 6-0, 6-0
5. Kelly Schmandt (VU) def. Many Caldemeyer (MS) 6-0, 6-0
6. Annie Menees (VU) def, Asa Liden (MS) 6-2, 7-5
1. Riske/Tsoubanos (VU) def. Caldemeyer/Thomas (MS) 8-2
2. Burson/Menees (VU) def. Lay/Julinssen (MS) 8-2
3. Miller/Schmandt (VU) def. Thompson/Vastag (MS) 8-3