The No. 2 Vanderbilt women's tennis team improved to 14-1 on the season as they downed No. 34 Illinois 7-0 Sunday at the Currey Tennis Center. The Commodores' 14 wins are the most in nation in Division I tennis, men's or women's.
Vanderbilt opened up the match by sweeping the doubles contests for a 1-0 lead. The team Kate Burson (Washington, D.C.) and Annie Menees (St. Louis, Mo.) recorded a 8-0 win at No. 2 doubles before Jenny Miller (Savannah, Ga.) and Kelly Schmandt (Santa Barbara, Calif.) clinched the point with a 8-4 win at No. 3. The team of Sarah Riske (McMurray, Pa.) and Aleke Tsoubanos (Chesterfield, Mo.) also won at No. 1 for the Commodores. In singles play, Vanderbilt opened up a 3-0 lead as Schmandt and Riske won at No. 5 and No. 1 respectively. Miller clinched the win with her victory at No. 2. Burson and Katie Blaszak (Fairfax, Va.) won three set matches at No. 3 and No. 4 to make the score 6-0 and Menees' win at No. 6 completed the 7-0 shutout.
"We had another strong perfomance today," commented Vanderbilt head coach Geoff Macdonald. "I was pleased with our effort and our progress so far this season."
Vanderbilt will have two weeks off before hosting one of the biggest matches of the season on March 1. The top-ranked Lady Bulldogs of Georgia will visit the Currey Tennis Center for a probable No. 1 vs. No. 2 matchup. It will be the second meeting of the season between the schools as Georgia topped Vanderbilt 4-1 last weekend in the finals of the National Indoor Championships.
No. 2 Vanderbilt 7, No. 34 Illinois 0
1. Sarah Riske (VU) def. Jenny McGaffigan (UI) 6-0, 6-1
2. Jenny Miller (VU) def. Cynthia Goulet (UI) 7-6, 6-1
3. Kate Burson (VU) def. Tiffany Eklov (UI) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Katie Blaszak (VU) def. Kat Boomershine (UI) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
5. Kelly Schmandt (VU) def. Eldina Fazlic (UI) 6-2, 6-1
6. Annie Menees (VU) def. Michelle Webb (UI) 6-4, 6-1
1. Riske/Tsoubanos (VU) def. McGaffigan/Goulet (UI) 8-6
2. Burson/Menees (VU) def. Webb/Fraker (UI) 8-0
3. Miller/Schmandt (VU) def. Boomershine/Choe (UI) 8-4
The No. 32 Vanderbilt men's tennis team defeated NC State 7-0 Sunday at the Currey Tennis Center to improve their record to 5-1 on the season.
The Commodores took a 1-0 lead early by winning the doubles point. The team of Chad Harris (Aurora, Colo.) and Lewis Smith (Memphis, Tenn.) won at No. 2 for the Commodores and Jens Frederiksen (Copenhagen, Denmark) and Josh Tarkoff (Miami, Fla.) clinched the point with their win at No. 3. In singles play, Vanderbilt jumped out to a 3-0 lead with wins by Harris at No. 2 and Scott Brown (St. Louis, Mo.) at No. 3. Bobby Reynolds' (Acworth, Ga.) at No. 1 clinched the match for Vanderbilt. Frederiksen then posted a win at No. 5 and Smith won at No. 6 to give Vanderbilt a 6-0 lead. Zach Dailey (Memphis, Tenn.) closed out the win with a three-set victory at No. 4.
"Today was a total team effort," stated Vanderbilt head coach Ken Flach. "Shutting out a team like NC State shows our strength from top to bottom in our lineup. I was very pleased that we won the doubles point for the sixth match this year."
Vanderbilt will return to action next Saturday as they host Georgia Tech at the Currey Tennis Center.
No. 32 Vanderbilt 7, NC State 0
1. Bobby Reynolds (VU) def. Matt Lucas (NCSU) 7-5, 6-4
2. Chad Harris (VU) def. Reinaldo Valor (NCSU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Scott Brown (VU) def. Michael Carducci (NCSU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Zach Dailey (VU) def. Ryan Boward (NCSU) 6-1, 3-6, 7-5
5. Jens Frederiksen (VU) def. R.J. Murray (NCSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Lewis Smith (VU) def. Bryce McGrory (NCSU) 6-4, 7-5
1. Lucas/Valor (NCSU) def. Reynolds/Brown (VU) 8-6
2. Harris/Smith (VU) def. Davis/Carducci (NCSU) 8-4
3. Frederiksen/Tarkoff (VU) def. Murray/Boward (NCSU) 8-4