Vanderbilt shocked by Kentucky

LEXINGTON-- The Vanderbilt Commodores suffered their first loss of the season on Saturday at Rupp Arena falling to the Kentucky Wildcats 79-73 in double overtime. Vanderbilt, led in scoring by Shan Foster with 20, had battled back to take the lead late in the game but ran out of gas in the second overtime.

The Commodores struggled early in the game allowing the Wildcats to go on a 16-3 run midway through the first half to build a 26-13 lead. Freshman A.J. Ogilvy admitted that the crowd of almost 24,000 people took the Commodores out of their game early: "I think we got taken out of our game a little bit at the start," Ogilvy said. "We just tried to recover, but never could."

From the start Kentucky looked like a team that was desperate for a win. They have struggled early in the season, coming into this game with a 6-7 record, and desperately needed a win to start off their Southeastern Conference Schedule. "We wanted this one, we needed this one and we got this one," Kentucky guard Ramel Bradley commented after the win. "There's a whole new season ahead, and now we need to go out and keeping getting more wins."

The Commodores were able to keep the game from getting out of hand before halftime when Darshawn McClellan hit a jumper and Alex Gordon hit a three on back-to-back possessions. The Commodores went into the break down ten and with a little momentum.

Vanderbilt cut the Wildcats lead to 8 at 37-29 when Ogilvy hit a jumper with 17:53 to go in the second half. The Wildcats responded by going on an 11-2 run to build a 46-30 lead with 14:21 left to go. Vanderbilt was able to chip away at Kentucky's lead for the rest of the second half. They finally tied the game on a Shan Foster three with just 16 seconds left. Kentucky was unable to score on their final possession forcing the game into overtime.

Vandy scored first in the extra session when Ogilvy hit a free throw. That lead was the Commodores first lead of the entire game. The two teams traded a miss and a make of free throws twice to force a tie at 67 with 2:24 to go. Alan Metcalfe made a lay-up with 1:54 left to give the Commodores a 69-67 lead. Bradley responded on Kentucky's next possession with a three-point play. The Wildcats held a 72-70 lead with two seconds to go in overtime when Ogilvy hit made a lay-up to force the game into a second overtime.

The second overtime was all Wildcats. The only point the Commodores scored came on a free throw made by Ogilvy.

The Commodores were led in scoring by Foster with 20 on just 11 shots. They also got double figures from Ogilvy with 16, Alex Gordon with 15 and McClellan with 10.

The Wildcats were led in scoring by Patrick Patterson who had a game high 23 points. They also got 20 from Bradley and 17 from Joe Crawford.

The Commodores return to action Thursday night when they travel to Knoxville to take on the Tennessee Volunteers. That game tips off 6:00 p.m. and can be seen on ESPN. Top Stories