BIG PLAYS HURT
The Virginia defense allowed multiple explosive plays of 15 yards or more.
- UVA allowed 4 runs of 15 yards or more (7 of 10 or more)
- UVA allowed 7 passes of 15 yards or more, 3 of 30 yards or more (33, 67, 58). The 67-yard Stacy Coley catch was for a touchdown.
Unlike against Georgia Tech, the 'Hoos also struggled to stop Miami on third down. The Hurricanes was 8-of-13 on third down conversions.
Virginia once again had some issues with penalties. UVA had 8 penalties for 8- yards, five of those penalties were pre-snap penalties and one of them was an offside penalty on the defense when Brad Kaaya had thrown an incomplete pass on third down. The Canes were going to punt, however, due to the penalty, the Cavs had a new set of downs to play with in the red zone. Miami ended up scoring a touchdown.
- Taquan Mizzell had eight receptions giving the junior 54 for the season, he is No. 6 in ACC history for receptions in a season by a running back. Those eight catches were for 40 yards, which puts Smoke in No. 5 all-time in ACC history for receiving yards in a season by a running back. He has 539 yards.
- UVA quarterback Matt Johns had 280 yards on Saturday, he is now No. 14 all time at UVA with 3,144 career passing yards. He also finished with a career-high 29 completions.
- DE Trent Corney finished with a career high seven tackles.