Hokies Rally to Top Virginia

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.-- Virginia football's losing streak to the Hokies was extended on Saturday. Virginia Tech rallied in the fourth quarter to beat the Wahoos 23-20 to extend UVA's losing streak to 12 games.

Virginia football has to wait one more year. Virginia Tech came from behind twice in the fourth quarter to keep its hopes alive and then finally with 1:38 left to play, Hokies broke the tie with a Joey Slye 41-yard field goal to go ahead for the first time since the first possession.The Cavaliers' tried to mount a last minute effort, but fell short. Matt Johns' pass intended to Evan Butts was intecepted ending the game and extending the Hokies' winning streak to 12 over the Cavs. 

It was not a pretty game for either side. In the Hokies' first possession of the game, Virginia Tech was able to match down the field pretty easily, before the Cavalier defense tightened up and forced the visitors to settle for a 48-yard field goal. The Cavs did not waste any time answering back, however due to back-to-back penalties - holding on Jackson Matteo and illeagle procedure against Taquan Mizzell- the 'Hoos were are also forced to kick a field goal. 

Virginia Tech and the Cavs traded punts after UVA's front four caused havoc on Hokies quarterback Michael Brewer. Two sacks and a few hard hits later and the Virginia Tech signal caller was visibly shaken up. It was Virginia to end the streak of punts in the second quarter. Quarterback Matt Johns rushed for 25-yards to set up the Cavs in good field position, but once again the 'Hoos were forced to settle for a field goal for the 6-3 lead. The Hokies would add one more field goal before halftime and sending both teams into the locker rooms tied at six. 

In the second half, one phrase summed up most of the third quarter, '*insert team* forced to punt.' After trading five punts, despite both teams forcing two takeaways, the game remained deadlocked at six. The breakthrough only came with one minute left in the quarter when Albert Reid found a created by blocks by both left tackle Jack English and tight end Evan Butts, and ran 57-yards to the house. Virginia went up by seven with :59 seconds to go in the third quarter. 

The lead was shortlived, however, for the home side. Virginia Tech replied 90 seconds later with their own touchdown after Brewer hit Ryan Malleck for a 71-yard pass play, which was then followed up by a Travon McMillian one-yard touchdown. Once again the game was tied. 

The game quickly turned into a shootout with Johns once again finding the endzone on the ensuing drive. The UVA signal caller found Canaan Severin in the end zone who managed to get both feet inside the line to once again put the Cavs ahead by seven. But the script remained the same, Virginia Tech quickly answered with another touchdown pass by Brewer. This time the senior hit Ford for the 32-yard completion and the game is locked at 20. 

The Hokies finally break the pattern. Virginia Tech's defense forced UVA to punt for the first time in the fourth quarter, and the the Hokies offense went to work. Brewer and company marched down the field to set up the game winning field goal. 

Virginia Tech is now eligible to play in a bowl game, which means Frank Beamer's career has been extended one more game, however, Mike London's days as UVA's head coach seem to be numbered. 

Make sure you stay tuned to HooNation.com for the latest developments on London's job status and more. 

Hoo Nation Top Stories