Melton had a visit scheduled for July 21, but the visit was cancelled because of his coach was not able to make the trip. Although his coach is working to reschedule the visit, Melton has decided that he is ready to make a commitment.
"I talked with my coach yesterday and told him I was ready to give a verbal commitment to Clemson. He was shocked. He asked if I want to commit without going down for my visit. He wants me to visit first. He is working with Coach O'Cain to try to setup a visit. I plan to talk to my Coach tomorrow about my decision." Melton will have to schedule his visit around practice, which starts on Monday.
Melton has discussed his commitment with his mother and she is very supportive. "I talked to my mom a few weeks ago about committing to Clemson when I had a visit scheduled. I talked with her some more this week. She told me if that's where my heart is then go ahead and go for it."
We will continue to keep you updated on this outstanding athlete from North Carolina, right up through signing day 2004.