Idlette's first reception -- though called back due to penalty -- was a long pass from Benjamin Mauk to the right corner of the endzone for a touchdown. Later in the scrimmage, Idlette showed the speed he is known for, catching a screen pass on the right side, dodging defenders and outrunning the defense to the endzone a total of 63 yards.
Defensively, it was Aaron Mason who had a big day. The 5'9, 200-pound defensive back intercepted two passes on the day, returning both for touchdowns. If Mason can continue his good play and step up this season, he will be a very welcome addition to the rotation at cornerback.
* Eric Berry also picked off a pass in the scrimmage on Thursday.
* Thursday's scrimmage was a little sloppy at the wide receiver spot where a handful of drops took place throughout the morning. Deacon coaches were noticeably unhappy with the receivers' performance, though some of the troubles may be blamed on the rainy playing conditions.
* Willie Idlette and Aaron Mason were the two individuals who returned punts during the scrimmage. Kickoffs were returned by Idlette and Travo Woods.
* After a scrimmage dominated by the offense last week, the defense rose to the occasion on Thursday. The Deacon defense actually scored more touchdowns (2) than the Deacon offense (1).
* Look for quotes from Aaron Mason, Willie Idlette, and Jim Grobe here at DeaconSports in the near future...