Darryl Monroe's dad clarifies son's decision

DARRYL MONROE played with a nagging injury all season long, his father tells Cougfan.com in an interview about his son's decision to leave Washington State. And, he insists, the linebacker's decision to transfer for his final year of eligibility following graduation from Washington State this month had nothing to do with losing playing time to Peyton Pelluer.

Darryl Monroe Sr. said his son -- a fixture on the Cougar defense since he was second-year freshman in 2012 -- didn't want to leave WSU but felt he had been maligned by the coaching staff.

“He loves Washington State but to see the program he loved and represented sabotage his character, had taken a toll on him mentally, and after speaking with other professionals in this industry (professors, teachers, doctors), there’s no way you treat your student athletes like that. It hurt him more just for him to make that decision, but after seeing the welcoming from other programs really showed him his value,” Monroe Sr. said.

The elder Monroe said his son suffered an ankle contusion during the second game of the season, at Nevada, and a blood clot developed on the ligament that connects the Achilles tendon to the foot. The injury bothered Monroe throughout the season, his dad said, because his son never received down time for it to heal.

Monroe's speed and the angles he took, from the opening game, looked at times this season completely out of character when compared to his 2013 and 2012 performances.

“The coaching staff never stood up for him to inform the media he was hurt. They made it seem like he was not doing his job,” Monroe Sr. said.

Mike Leach's policy since arriving at WSU has been not to comment on injuries. He told Cougfan.com in October he doesn't talk about injuries because it gives opponents a list of vulnerabilities and he doesn’t want any excuses for his team not to play well.

Despite losing his starting job after the Stanford game to Pelluer, a redshirt freshman, Monroe finished third on the team in total tackles with 70, with four tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks.

Earlier this season, Leach was asked why Monroe was not performing as he previously had and responded by saying Monroe was playing with a clouded mind, suggesting he was thinking too much rather than reading and reacting.

Monroe will graduate this month and then transfer, his father said. He said his soon had been granted his release from WSU but didn't know the exact date.

He said his son has 10 offers so far, including ones from Washington, Arizona State, Florida, Alabama and Miami. Monroe, who is from Orlando, has one week to make a choice to be eligible to play spring ball, and to attend graduate school, Monroe Sr. said.

The interest from Washington and Arizona State likely stems from the fact two people who recruited him to WSU under Paul Wulff are now at those schools; Rich Rasmussen is the recruiting coordinator at UW and Chris Ball is the co-defensive coordinator at ASU.

“When other schools heard he was considering leaving, they couldn’t believe it. A lot of people have been so supportive in his decision to forgo his senior year (at WSU) ... they know that my son was loyal to the Washington State program ... no one could believe he was making that decision,” Monroe Sr. said.

A cursory reading of the Pac-12 compliance manual indicates that a transfer to another Pac-12 school would require an additional layer of paperwork in order for Monroe to receive financial aid from the new school: an intra-conference waiver approved by WSU.

If that intra-conference waiver is denied by the originating school, the athlete can request a hearing to appeal.

Attempts to reach Monroe for comment have been unsuccessful.

Monroe becomes the third WSU player to have left the program since September, joining DB Teondray Caldwell and RB Squally Canada.

Cougfan Top Stories