Unspeakable disaster: PSU 24, Cougars 17

Portland State beat an FBS opponent for just the third time in school history and its first Pacific-12 team ever Saturday after the Big Sky Vikings scored late to stun Washington State 24-17 at rain-slickened Martin Stadium in the 2015 season opener for both teams.

Portland State's Steven Long scored on a 1-yard run with 2:19 remaining to break a 17-17 tie. Washington State couldn't respond after a Peyton Bender interception. Worse, WSU starting quarterback Luke Falk left late in the game with an undetermined injury after getting hit hard while diving for a first down.

Portland State, a 31-point underdog to Washington State, could not be stopped during the second half, as the Vikings' offense rolled up 24 points and 230 yards after getting blanked in the first half.

The Cougars had some good moments during the first half, when they took a 10-0 hafltime lead. The defense held Portland State to four first downs and 66 yards. Offensively, Washington State ran the ball 23 times for 85 yards during the first half, but scored its lone touchdown on a 24-yard pass from Falk to Keith Harrington.

But the Cougars couldn't sustain their momentum. Portland State opened the second half with its first scoring drive, when backup quarterback Paris Penn ran 4 yards for a touchdown to cut the WSU lead to 10-7. Later in the quarter, the Vikings tied the game at 10-10 on a 42-yard field goal by Jonathan Gonzales.

A special team's mistake led to Portland State's go-ahead score early in the fourth quarter. The Vikings cashed in a fumbled punt when Nate Tago scored on an 8-yard run to give PSU a 17-10 lead.

Washington State finally got it going in the second half when Falk hit Gabe Marks with a 5-yard touchdown pass to cap a 46-yard drive, tying the game at 17 with 9:11 remaining.

Check back at Cougfan.com later today, when we'll have a mountain of content, including stories, video and photos regarding Saturday's season opener.

Cougfan Top Stories