Robert Lewis' TD, whether scored a fumble recovery or a reception, provides the game winner

WASHINGTON STATE CLAIMED perhaps the biggest win of Mike Leach's four-year Cougar coaching career after Robert Lewis' fumble recovery and score provided the game-winner in the second overtime as the Cougars stunned Oregon 45-38 Saturday in Autzen Stadium.

The Cougars (3-2, 1-1 Pac-12) rallied from a 10-point fourth quarter deficit, then scored twice during the overtime sessions to beat Oregon for the first time since 2006.

The game-winning play started when Luke Falk threw a short pass to River Cracraft, who fumbled just as he reached the goal line. The ball popped into the waiting hands of Robert Lewis, who strolled into the end zone with the go-ahead score.

Washington State completed the win when it turned back Oregon on four downs during its turn during the second overtime.

Falk had a big day, completing 50 of 74 passes for 505 yards and five touchdowns. The Cougars had 641 yards total offense.

Oregon (3-3, 1-2) took the lead during the first overtime, but the Cougars matched scores when Falk dove into the end zone from a yard out.

Washington State forced overtime with a spectacular rally, scoring 10 points during the final 3:53 to tie the game at 31-31. Dom Williams caught an 8-yard fade pass from Luke Falk with one second remaining to square the score.

The Cougars took a 21-17 lead early in the third quarter when Falk connected with Tavares Martin Jr. on a 27-yard touchdown pass. But Oregon, led by running back Royce Freeman, pounded WSU with two run-fueled scoring drives to take a 31-21 lead with 8:20 left in the fourth quarter.

Washington State pared the deficit to seven points when Erik Powell booted a 22-yard field goal with 3:53 remaining. After the Cougars' defense forced a three-and-out, WSU produced a game-tying drive, where it went 70 yards in 12 plays, finishing with Williams' touchdown grab. Cracraft had the big play on the drive, converting a fourth-and-3 after catching a 22-yard pass to put the Cougars eight yards from the end zone.

Oregon led 17-14 at halftime, though the Cougars scored on their first and last drive of the first half. Falk connected with Gabe Marks on touchdown passes of 7 and 4 yards during the first half.

The Cougars led 21-17 deep into the third quarter when Oregon caught a huge break. Ducks' quarterback Jeff Lockie threw a 14-yard touchdown pass to Freeman on a play that initially was called offensive pass interference, but waved off when officials said Freeman caught the ball behind the line of scrimmage. Television replays clearly showed Freeman caught the ball more than a yard past the line of scrimmage, and the penalty should have stood.

Much more coming on this game, including a game recap and analysis, a live report from our man in Eugene, Howie Stalwick, plus video.

RELATED: What they're saying: Duck hunt comes up short

Cougfan Top Stories