Getting back out on the turf in Martin Stadium is an upgrade from the uneven terrain the team had to endure in Lewiston. Familiar surroundings, familiar facilities and what should have been familiar schemes produced some unfamiliar results.
When Mike Leach's offense is executed properly both the scoreboard and stat sheets light up. Building on an improved running game last season, it looked we'll see Cougar running backs putting up significant numbers this fall.
Coach Grinch clearly will expect better execution by the Washington State D moving forward from today.
Here are some highlights and takeaways that I noted from Tuesday's practice session:
1. Offense makes it look easy
- Explosive plays are not too common for Leach’s Air Raid, but today was something else. The offensive line opened up massive holes for the running backs while the quarterbacks and receivers clicked all day. Luke Falk has this offense rolling. Everyone on offense is gelling and routine plays are starting to turn into huge gains.
2. More movement with the 2nd team O-line
- Here’s what I saw today behind the starters on the offensive line: Eduardo Middleton and Cody O'Connell moved to tackle, B.J. Salmonson moved to guard, Cedric Bigge-Duren (pictured above) moved back to guard while Frederick Mauigoa stayed at center. Salmonson has previously been the guy to come in when someone goes down, but my best guess is that coaches want to see a few more guys at other spots so that they can be ready for anything.
3. McBroom back in action
- Fourth-year junior transfer Garrett McBroom was back out on the practice field with the defense today. He was pretty impressive in the reps I saw him take. He has a very quick get-off and is fast getting into the backfield. McBroom is already rotating and taking reps with the 1s and 2s at the DE position. It should be interesting to see how much of an impact he can make now that he's added into the defensive line mix.
Check back later this evening for a full report on today's practice.
RELATED: CFC TV: Leach says team execution is highernull