Mike Leach had plenty of good things to say about the WSU defense in interviews following the scrimmage. His assessment of the offense at this point in camp reflected disappointment.
"The first offense thinks they're a little too good, which they're not," said Leach. "They got revealed for front running it I think. We thought we could get our work done in 20-plays and it took 66-plays. Today it took 66 so we're about a third as good as we think we are."
Here's my takeaways from today's action.
1. Starting offense looked sloppy
- Luke Falk and the starting offense just couldn’t get anything going in today's scrimmage. They failed to score a touchdown and hardly moved the ball during their drives. After the first drive ended with an interception, Leach had the 1’s doing up-downs when they came off the field. After failing to move the ball on Falk’s second drive, again they were doing up-downs on the sideline. When the 2’s and 3’s came in, they moved the ball pretty well and put together touchdown drives. It was just a disappointing day for the 1’s when the scrimmage came to an end and it felt like they hadn’t done much.
2. Defensive impresses
- The defense dominated the first few drives of the scrimmage and continued to play very well throughout the remainder of the day. They managed to intercept Falk and Tyler Hilinski on each of their starting drives and forced another turnover later in the day. The D-line provided a lot of pressure today sacking the QB’s a total of seven times. They forced several 3-and-outs, stopped the run game (for the most part), and forced the QB’s to make a lot of bad throws.
3. Oguayo undersized, but playing big
- Nnamdi Oguayo had a very strong performance in todays scrimmage. Oguayo weighs somewhere near 215 and is facing linemen that have nearly 100 pounds on him. With such a size disadvantage, he must rely on speed and strength to get past most offensive linemen. Today, his skill set paid off. During the scrimmage, Oguayo fought off his blocks with ease, sacking Falk once and recording a couple tackles for loss.
Continue checking in with CF.C this evening. We'll have more video and a complete recap of today's scrimmage later on.
RELATED: Cougar Football: Day 12 of fall campnull