The Cougs put in another good day of work on Rogers Field. Along the way the scout team was over-matched time and again by the aggressive defense and Air Raid attack.
Here are a few highlights I saw from my vantage point:
1. Falk attacking down field
- Mike Leach commented on the explosive plays in his post practice interview, which I thought was appropriate because that’s exactly what I was seeing all day.
"If something good happened on defense it came too easy and if something happened on offense it came too easy," said Leach. "And then of course I the explosive stuff I thought was good. We have to be more consistent."
Luke Falk hit his check downs, short throws and was pushing the ball down field with some force today. He threw several really nice deep balls that connected with many of the receivers in Leach’s eight man rotation.
2. National pass break-up day
- For the most part, coverage by the defensive backs was pretty tight today. Even though Falk had somewhat of a hay day, I still counted a ton of pass breakups. The defense only managed one interception today, but they got plenty of hands on a lot of throws when they were in the air. Linebackers, nickels, safeties, and corners all had their share today. Pass break-ups are definitely a big deal on defense And though it only counts as an incompletion, it shows how well the defense is covering as a whole.
3. Moore seeing more reps
- Derek Moore (picture above) has slowly crept into the mix at defensive end. It looks like he’s going to see the field a lot more than I originally thought after the Cougs got back from Lewiston. Moore made some solid plays today by filling run gaps and also picked up a loose fumble during the defense's team practice. He’s a bit undersized at this point, but shows a lot of potential and playmaking ability on D.
I'll have a complete report on all the action today later this evening on Cougfan.
RELATED: Leach turns Marks loosenull