One of the most valuable components of Mike Leach's football program is getting reps for young players so the staff can evaluate them. This weekly session has come to be known as Thursday Night Football. Guys who have not been able to crack the 2-deeps on the depth chart know TNF is their chance to turn heads.
There were some great plays this afternoon to kick off TNF. Here's my top three highlights:
1. Dimry steals the spot light
- Fifth-year senior receiver C.J. Dimry (pictured above) ripped off a monster touchdown early in the Cougs TNF scrimmage. He only had a few passes thrown his way, but two of them went for long touchdown plays. After missing several fall camp practices and dropping on the depth chart, Dimry looks to be fighting his way back to the top.
2. Defense holds strong
- Today’s scrimmage gave some players the most live action they’ve seen yet in a crimson and gray uniform. The defensive unit, specifically the front seven, came up with some really impressive stops and open field tackles. The D linemen got to the quarterback on several occasions while the linebackers continued to shoot their gaps and stop the run. Linebacker Jahad Woods and safety Kameron Powell caught my eye specifically on several plays that were stopped behind the line.
3. Backup quarterbacks coming along
- Anthony Gordon, Trey Tinsley, and Bryce Missey all showed good accuracy and didn’t turn the ball over once today. Gordon and Tinsley took the majority of reps and made the most out of them. Neither stalled a drive and both each moved the offense down field with short and intermediate throws.
We'll have a complete report on Cougfan later this evening with complete coverage of all the action on the practice field.