1. Martin too big a factor to overlook
- Sophomore WR Tavares Martin (pictured above) wasn’t a huge factor in last weeks game against EWU. Martin, who at times has shown great hands and leaping ability, had an excellent session Wednesday. Along with a solid run game, my guess is that Mike Leach wants the offense to have more balance through the air than they did in the opener. Looking at last weeks stats, Gabe Marks had 10 catches with the rest of the receivers hauling in 5 or less.
2. Backs running hard
- The running backs probably had the best performance out of any position group against EWU, and they look to be carrying that momentum into practice this week. Jamal Morrow, Gerard Wicks, and James Williams are still doing their thing, hitting holes hard, but I see extra steps after they reach the second level. It was clear to me there's a lot of effort from the players on offense right now, especially from the running backs. They are also catching everything throw their way. Williams grabbed a couple of tosses from Luke Falk today and racked up huge yardage after the catch that looked very impressive.
3. Gordon doing his best Rypien impression
- Junior college transfer Anthony Gordon is working with the scout team against Alex Grinch's defense and looks to be doing a pretty good job of replicating BSU’s star quarterback Brett Rypien. Though its tough to simulate an all-conference QB, Gordon is definitely forcing the defense to work harder. In Wednesday’s practice he threw several nice passes that made the defense reload the play to give it another look. He puts good zip on the ball and found some soft spots in coverages.