CFC player of the game: James Williams
The Cougar offense totaled 228-rushing yards in a commanding performance over the Vandals. Included in that rushing total was 126-yards from redshirt-freshman running back Williams. He opened up the scoring for the Cougars with first WSU touchdown of the day. His combination of speed, power and elusiveness carried the run game through the rest of the game. Williams was explosive, ran through tackles, and hit the second level before the defense could think twice. Should he continue to perform at the level he showed Saturday, he should be a player that will see a lot of touches in the future.
• WSU special teams seemingly came out of nowhere, scooping and scoring twice on loose balls coming after a blocked field and a forced fumble on a kickoff. Marcellus Pippins and Gerard Wicks returned takeaways for two scores after Robert Barber blocked a field goal attempt and Dylan Hanser forced fumble during a kickoff return by the Vandals.
Stand out stats:
• WSU rushing total: 226 yards
• Luke Falk 21 for 36, 226 yards, 3 touchdowns
• Kyle Sweet, 4 catches, 77 yards, 1 touchdown
• Gabe Marks, 7 catches, 59 yards, 1 touchdown
• Frankie Luvu, 7 tackles, 3 solo, 1.5 tackles for loss
• WSU penalties: 11 for 108 yards
Misleading stat of the game:
• Last season, Luke Falk attempted 53.7 pass attempts per game. In 2016, Falk average 61 attempts in the first two games of 2016. Despite putting up 56 points against Idaho, Falk only attempted 36 passes on the day.
Play of the game:
• Robert Barber’s FG block during the first quarter was returned 72 yards by Marcellus Pippins for a touchdown. That special teams play prevented Idaho from a potentially getting back in the game. Instead of closing the gap on the scoreboard to 7-6 the Cougs seized momentum and carried it for the rest of the game after pushing the score to 14-3.
Up next: Oregon at home (Time TBD)
Noteable Mike Leach quotes:
- On James Williams: “He’s explosive, he’s elusive, he’s not a guy that thinks about 30 inconsequential things. He just goes out and plays. He’s got really good hips. James Williams hates that this game concluded, he always wants games to keep going – which is kind of what you’re after out of a guy.”
- “We seemed to have a group go soft a little bit. I mean, I think as coaches we’ve got to be on them all the time. And I think its got to be all kinds of intensity and a bunch of stuff that’s old fashion – that if we’re ever going to maintain the integrity of the game of football it will come back in a hurry I hope.”
- “The sloppiness in regards to penalties is alarming”
- The last time the Cougs scored a touchdown off a forced fumble was in 2013 (Xavier Cooper against Oregon)
- Hilinski went 6 for 8 passing, 55-yards, 0 touchdowns and 1 interception.
- Lee scored his first career touchdown on an 8-yard run.
- Williams scored his first career touchdown on a 2-yard run.
- Dimry caught his first career pass for a 13-yard gain.