CFC Player of the game
- With the recent suspension of Logan Tago, junior RUSH linebacker Dylan Hanser saw a big increase in the reps when the Cougs faced UCLA in their homecoming matchup. The pressure to take on a larger role this week saw Hanser making the most out of his reps. He had an outstanding night by forcing two major turnovers. One of those turnovers happened to come at the perfect time when Wazzu needed a play. Hanser forced a fumble on the Bruins last drive put the final nail in the coffin and sealed victory for the WSU.
- Washington State saw its FBS-best streak of 41 straight games with a touchdown pass snapped – but still got the 27-21 win over UCLA. Cougar QB Luke Falk had thrown a touchdown in 22 straight games.
- Held UCLA to 43-net rushing yards
- Forced 5 fumbles, recovering 2
- Recorded 2 interceptions, equaling 4 total turnovers of UCLA on the night
- Dylan Hanser: 3 tackles, 2 solo, 2 forced fumbles
- Peyton Pelluer: 7 tackles, 4 solo, 0.5 for loss
- Hercules Mata’afa: 7 tackles, 4 solo, 1 for loss
- Shalom Luani: 4 tackles, 3 solo, 2 for loss, 1 pass break-up
- Marcellus Pippins: 5 tackles, 4 solo, 1 interception, 1 pass break-up
- Erik Powell (pictured above) was two-for-two on field goal attempts
- River Cracraft: 6 catches for 74 yards
- WSU offense was four out of five on fourth down conversion attempts
- Peyton Pelluer and Hercules Mata’afa both recorded 7 tackles
Misleading Stat of the game
- Luke Falk was 28 for 48 passing with 261-yards without a touchdown and 1 interception. It’s not likely that Falk throws for less than 300-yards while completing 58-percent of his throws. Still, he managed the offense well and put the team in position to stay ahead of score all the way until the clock hit zeros.
Play of the game
- WSU was up 27-21 when the Bruins took possession late in the 4th quarter with 49 seconds left to play. On the very first play of the Bruins’s drive, a short pass turned into a big gain after one missed tackle, but Dylan Hanser caught up to the receiver to make the tackle and force a fumble on the play. Robert Taylor saw the ball come loose on fell on top of it to secure the win.
- Gabe Marks came out of the game but later returned
- Cody O'Connell came out of the game but later returned
Up Next: At Arizona State next Saturday at 7:00pm
Notable Leach Quotes:
“I thought we played a real good game defensive until late in the 4th. And the only thing that really haunted us defensively was explosive plays.”
“We’re doing some good things. We work really hard, we play really hard. We’re a focused and competitive group.”
“I was proud of our guys sticking in there and playing tough like they did.”
“I felt like we should have finished better but I thought we had a lot of good stuff in between to make all this happen."