WSU

WITNESS: Others trying to start fights, one offered her white substance, Conduct Board ignored her attempt to provide complete account

PULLMAN – Stella Anderson, a Washington State sophomore, perhaps shed the most light on the Student Conduct Board process involving Robert Barber during, and after, an explosive WSU Board of Regents meeting on Friday. Anderson said one of the alleged victims offered her a white substance and was trying to start fights. She also says her attempts to offer a complete witness account to the Conduct Board were ignored.

Anderson was at the July melee that set in motion events that, on Friday, saw WSU president Kirk Schulz saying Robert Barber could complete his degree while under suspension and not on Washington State's campus. 

"A kid comes running up, hits another guy in the face - this happened right in front of me,” Anderson said in describing what started the melee. “These are guys that are not involved.” (Note: By “not involved”, Anderson is referring to not having been charged by the WSU Conduct Board or arrested by Pullman Police).

“They left (towards the street) after that happened ... everyone was trying to get out (but they) were still screaming up in everyone's faces, and then this big mosh pit started. I got out of the gate before any of that occurred, but I still saw it happen. 

"Those two guys instigated it."

Anderson was adamant that neither of the two instigators were Barber or T.J. Fehoko, whom WSU's Conduct Board has suspended and expelled, respectively.

Anderson says the owners of the home where the party took place then came outside and started yelling for everyone to leave immediately. With an estimated 100 people at the party, the group did not, to the homeowners' satisfaction, move quickly enough towards the one exit. This aggravated the homeowners, said Anderson.

“I was there the night the altercation occurred," Anderson said Friday at the regents meeting. “And I wanted to point out a flaw in the system. My experience wasn’t the same as what’s been reported in the media. I think that’s a big flaw, if not even Student Conduct was able to see both sides."

Anderson described how Barber reached out to her, that he asked her to go to Student Conduct and offer the details that she witnessed.  And Anderson initially appeared before the conduct board to offer her account. However, she says she was in a rush for another engagement that day and left before she felt she had given a full and complete account of the incident to the Conduct Board.

Anderson then emailed the Conduct Board multiple times to reschedule a second meeting, she said, attempting to share more and fuller information. She eventually was able to schedule an appointment but the conduct officer, , was a no show.  Anderson said she waited 30 minutes before a secretary informed her the conduct officer wouldn’t make the meeting.

Anderson says she has heard from the Conduct Board only once since then.

“(I received) one more email saying, ‘Sorry I wasn’t there on Friday' but it was nothing like; ‘We want to meet with you again, we want to hear more,'" Anderson said. "Then they went into their first review process.

“I offered to make a written statement, but there was no further correspondence from her."

Anderson said the Conduct Board was ultimately disinterested in hearing her full tory. And Anderson remains steadfast in saying  the way the incident has been portrayed, and the moments leading up to the physical altercation, is just plain wrong.

RELATED: Baumgartner says SCB situation is absurd, needs immediate fix


Cougfan Top Stories