MBA takes bite out of Beavers

SEATTLE - Washington out-scored Oregon State by 30 in the second half, running away with a 103-72 victory to extend the Huskies' league win streak to 11, the longest in school history since the 1953-54 season. They were led by Matthew Bryan-Amaning, who scored 24 points and pulled down 15 rebounds - his ninth career double-double.

A seven-minute stretch - the last three minutes of the first half and the first four minutes of the second half - saw Washington out-score Oregon State 21-4 to force OSU Head Coach Craig Robinson to call timeout with 16:04 left in the game, and the Huskies up 51-41.

From that point forward, Washington (12-3, 4-0) continued to apply pressure to the Beavers' zone defense, finding gaps and getting the ball inside to UW's interior players, led by Bryan-Amaning, who scored 14 of his game-high 24 points during the Huskies' 63-point second-half explosion - the most points they have scored in a half this year.

Isaiah Thomas had another efficient game for the Huskies, scoring 19 points and dishing out eight assists. Terrence Ross scored most of his 14 points in garbage time, while Scott Suggs (12 points) and Darnell Gant (10 points) were the other UW players to score in double-figures.

Jared Cunningham had 21 points for the Beavers (7-8, 2-2), while Roberto Nelson added 15 and Ahmad Starks 10 for OSU.

There was nothing in the first half that led one to believe Washington was going to run away with this game. If anything, the Huskies were very lucky to be ahead at half.

"Our guys did a nice job," Washington Head Coach Lorenzo Romar said after the game. "Oregon State really tried to come out and throw the first punch. They came ready to play. We withstood their first-half physicality. In the second half we threw the first, second and third punch."

The Beavers were able to get some early stops on the defensive end, and made a couple of circus threes to get them going, a couple off glass. But they all count, and before UW knew what was going on, OSU had moved to a 37-28 lead, pushed by the play of Cunningham, Starks and Calvin Haynes.

But they started to cool down, the Huskies settled down on the defensive end, got some stops and kept pushing the ball inside for easy buckets. With 46 seconds left in the half, Suggs gave UW their first lead of the game at 38-37, and needed a circus layin by Venoy Overton at the buzzer to keep a one-point lead at intermission.

Washington's push inside really started up in earnest the second half, as UW finished the game with 52 points scored in the paint. "We talked to our guys at halftime about getting them the ball more because there were spots open inside in their zone," Romar said.

Oregon State couldn't keep up, and once Washington had their defensive pressure ratcheted up, the Beavers had nothing but contested looks the rest of the way. And when they tried to find something inside, Bryan-Amaning, Aziz N'Diaye and Justin Holiday combined for seven of a season-high 10 blocks for UW.

In turn, that catalyzed the Huskies' transition offense. Thomas and Overton were the key distributors, with 15 assists to only three turnovers.

"The second half, we forced a few turnovers and that got us going," Romar said. "It starts with us on the defensive end. If you defend, you create better offense for yourself, and that's what I thought we did in the second half."
Points: Bryan-Amaning 24, Thomas 19, Ross 14, Suggs 12, Gant 10, Overton 8, Holiday 7, N'Diaye 7, Wilcox 2
Rebounds: Bryan-Amaning 15, Ross 7, N'Diaye 5, Gant 5, Holiday 4, TEAM 4, Suggs 3, Overton 1, Wilcox 1
Assists: Thomas 8, Overton 7, Suggs 3, Bryan-Amaning 1, Holiday 1
Steals: Overton 2, Wilcox 2, Holiday 1, Thomas 1, Gant 1, Suggs 1, Ross 1
Blocks: Holiday 3, Bryan-Amaning 2, N'Diaye 2, Overton 1, Gant 1, Ross 1 Top Stories