Huskies down Redhawks

CJ Wilcox poured in a career-high 25 points to lead the Huskies to a gritty 91-83 victory over a gritty Seattle University squad. The Redhawks gave the Huskies all they could handle with their full-court press, as they forced the Dawgs into 11 second-half turnovers to keep it close.

Wilcox came off the bench but played all but five minutes of the contest. He made four of seven three-pointers, most of those coming in clutch possessions. He also made nine of 11 free throws.

Freshman Tony Wroten went for 24 points and six assists, and limped off the floor at the end of the game due to some physical fouls. Aziz N'Diaye added 14 points to go with his 13 rebounds, and Terrence Ross had 12 points.

Seattle U was led by the 20 points of Federal Way native Aaron Broussard. Broussard also had 12 rebounds. Sterling Carter added 15 points. Clarence Trent, making his return to Hec-Ed, had nine points.

Washington looked as if they would pull away from Seattle U in the first half, but the visitors kept coming back with big shots. Sterling Carter hit two big three pointers to keep the Redhawks in the game, but in the last two minutes of the half, the Huskies turned up the heat. Terrence Ross nailed a couple of deep threes and Terrence Ross added a couple and when Aziz N'Diaye tipped in a Wroten miss, the Huskies were up 13 at the break.

Desmond Simmons got a rare start and delivered seven first-half points and five boards.

Washington would score the first two points of the second half on a Wroten lay in but after that, Seattle U dug in their heels defensively and made it a game. They pressed the Huskies and forced them into careless turnovers while they converted those into points. The Redhawks tied it at 62-all as the game ticked into the final 11 minutes.

The game was knotted at 70-all when Wroten lobbed the ball for an alley-oop for Terrence Ross. Ross was met in mid-air by T.J. Diop, who was called for a flagrant foul, knocking Ross awkwardly to the floor. Ross made one of two free throws and Wroten hit a driving runner to make it 73-70. Seattle refused to die. Clarence Trent followed a Wilcox trey with one of his own. The Redhawks had three chances to take the lead from the Huskies but missed a lay-in, missed a free throw, and missed an open three-pointer in succession.

As the game dipped below 4:00, the Huskies finally opened up some room. Wilcox drilled a long jumper and Gaddy made one of two free throws to push the lead to 83-77. Still, the Redhawks had a little gas left in the tank. Their press forced another Wilcox turnover and when Cervante Burrell lined up a trey, it went half way down before rimming off.

Aaron Broussard hit a driving lay in to make it 84-81 with 1:30 left. Wroten connected on two free throws and Gaddy made two more to salt the game away.

Washington's next game is a Sunday afternoon clash with Washington State in Seattle. Top Stories