WSU 3, UW 2

SEATTLE - Kyle Johnson doubled to score Ian Sagdal with the eventual winning run in the top of the seventh inning as Washington State beat Washington 3-2 in the series and regular season finale at Husky Ballpark on an overcast 60 degree Sunday afternoon.

With the win the Cougars (28-28, 12-18) salvaged the finale of the three game Apple Cup of baseball after the Huskies (30-25, 13-17) won the first two games by identical 5-2 scores.

The Cougars led 2-1 with two outs in the top of the seventh inning and looked like they would go in order when Sagdal hit a slow dribbler past the mound. Second baseman Robert Pehl charged the ball and would have got the runner at first with a good throw but instead fired the ball into the dugout for an error, allowing Sagdal to take second. Johnson then came up to bat and looked at a called strike before driving the next pitch from reliever Adam Cimber off the bullpen fence in left field for a run scoring double and a 3-1 lead.

That run loomed large when the Huskies drew a run closer at 3-2 in the bottom of the eighth. Caleb Brown, one of two players making his final appearance at Husky Ballpark on Senior Day and the starting right fielder, drew a walk from Kyle Swannack. He advanced to second on a passed ball by P.J. Jones and took third on a wild pitch by third Cougar pitcher Scott Simon. Pehl somewhat atoned for his earlier error by grounding a 2-1 pitch into left field to score Brown.

The Huskies had one more turn at-bat to send the game into extra innings or win the game outright in the last of the ninth but sixth Cougar pitcher Anthony Drobnick set them down in order to notch his fourth save of the season. Pinch hitter Andrew Ely flied out to left, Jayce Ray struck out swinging, and Joe Meggs fouled out to first and the season was in the books.

Joe Pistorese (4-3) started on the mound for the Cougars and went six and a third innings to get the win. He gave up only one run on four hits and two walks while striking out two. The only run Washington scored against him tied the game at 1 and came in the bottom of the first when Ray led off with a ground single to right, took second on a sacrifice by Meggs, moved to third on a wild pitch, and scored on an infield single by Trevor Mitsui.

The Huskies had a great opportunity to get to Pistorese in the fourth when they loaded the bases with two outs but Ty Afenir grounded into a force out at second to end the threat.

Jeff Brigham (0-2) recorded his longest start of the season for the Huskies, going six innings, but took the loss. He gave up two runs on six hits and one walk while striking out two. The Cougars scored a run against him in the first for a 1-0 lead and again in the sixth for a 2-1 lead. In the first, Johnson led off with an infield single, stole second, moved to third on a single by Patrick Claussen, and scored on a sacrifice fly to right by Taylor Ard. In the sixth, Claussen led off with a single and scored on a double off the top of the center field wall by Derek Jones.

BK Santy, the starting catcher and other Husky senior making his final home appearance of the season, had a perfect day in terms of reaching base. He walked his first two times up and lined a single to right in his final at-bat. Brown finished 0 for 3 with a walk and a run scored. Top Stories