Huskies gut one out at home

Seattle, WA – CJ Wilcox drained two free-throws with 4.1 seconds remaining in the game to give the Huskies a hard fought come-from-behind 64-60 win in Hec Edmundson Pavilion this evening.

Washington out rebounded the bigger and more physical Cardinal 33-29, showing just how hard the Huskies worked tonight. A big difference in the game was free throw shooting, where the Huskies converted 15 of 19 attempts while Stanford missed several key ones in the second half and only converted 11 of 18 overall.

Stanford led by as many as seven points, and had pushed ahead by five late in the second half, but the Huskies continued to scratch and claw and not go away.

With 3:46 left in the game, Stanford clung to a 56-54 lead and C.J. Wilcox headed to the free throw line for the Huskies coming out of a time out. He was only able to convert 1 of them. Dwight Powell missed but was able to outhustle two Huskies for the ball and then drive right through them for a lay in.

Nigel Williams-Goss answered it with a driving lay-in while drawing a foul. He converted his three-point play to knot it at 58-all. Anthony Brown made one of two free-throws broke the tie for Stanford. That was when Desmond Simmons hit the shot of the night, a 15-footer from the baseline that brought the house to its feet and put the Huskies ahead with 1:37 left. Wilcox added to the lead with two free throws. Chasson Randall hit one of two free throws to reduce the Huskies to a 62-60 lead with 49 seconds left.

Out of a time out, Washington set up a drive for Wilcox but he was unable to convert. Stanford got the rebound and hustled up floor and missed, but the Huskies knocked the rebound over the end line with 17.4 seconds left. Stanford set up a play for Chasson Randle but his drive was met by Desmond Simmons, who deftly took the charge with 5.3 seconds left. Wilcox would ice the game with two free-throws in the final seconds.

CJ Wilcox led the Huskies with 17 points, and was joined in double figures by the 16 from Nigel-Williams Goss an d13 from a resurgent Mike Anderson. Perris Blackwell had 8 boards and Desmond Simmons added seven big rebounds to go with his clutch play down the stretch.

Stanford was led by the 18 points and 9 rebounds from Dwight Powell. Chasson Randle added 17 and Anthony Brown had 12.

The game opened with Washington going up 4-0, and then proceeded to turn the ball over twice and go cold as Stanford went on a 9-0 run. The huskies turned the ball over three out of the next four possessions sandwiched around a Perris Blackwell miss from two feet away. Stanford was unable to make the Dawgs pay though as they suffered through some poor shooting.

Stanford pushed the lead to 17-10 before the Huskies answered with a 7-0 run of their own as Wilcox finally got on the board with a three. Stanford stopped the Husky run with two run-out dunks in transition. Wilcox buried back to back treys from about 26 and 29 feet respectively to put the Huskies back on top 23-21.

Stanford answered again taking advantage of some soft Andrew Andrews defense and a bad Andrew Andrews pass as the Cardinal surged to a 34-27 margin with 1:39 remaining in the half. Washington had several opportunities to cut in to that but turned it over three times in a row.

Huskies opened the second half with a 6-0 run on lay-ins from Wilcox, and Andrews, and two free throws from Kemp. Back to back treys from Mike Anderson put the Huskies on top 39-36. At the 13:28 mark Nigel Williams-Goss limped off the floor and into the locker room with the score tied at 41-all. He quickly returned but the Cardinal surged ahead 46-41 while he was on the bench. Taylor lazily turned the ball over in the open court before he exited. Washington was able to withstand the barrage with hustle, grit, and somehow overcoming 16 turnovers.

Washington's next game is Saturday at noon against the visiting California Golden Bears. Notes: Range to spare – on back to back possessions midway through the first half, CJ Wilcox fired over traffic beyond the top of the key. The first one was from about 26 feet away, swish. The second one came from just to the left of where the volleyball net anchors to the ground…swish. How do you defend that??

Dawgged Pack – can someone tell me why the "Dawgpack" section is so empty? That has to be rethought while the Huskies rebuild the hoops program. Those seats NEED to be full for as many games as possible. If needed, give those seats to people who will make some noise.

Foul Play? – Washington didn't take their first free throw of the contest until the 19:00 of the second half, two makes by Sean Kemp, Jr. Stanford to that point had only attempted three, making two.

Andrews benched - Andrew Andrews picked up foul number 2 inside the first 2:20 of the game. His second came when Nigel-Williams Goss was unable to negotiate a lazy pass. He would play only 5 minutes in the game and never got off the bench during the entire second half.

Warm Walton – Bill Walton was the color analyst tonight for ESPN. After the game he settled into aisle 8, pulled up a stool, and proceeded to give autographs to a steady stream of Husky fans. He was warm, friendly, and very playful with the autograph seekers and posed for pictures. He really is a great guy. I asked him how he liked the game and he smiled and said, "probably as much as you did". Top Stories