Washington Delivers Mayhem to Mount St. Mary's Mountaineers

Marquese Chriss scored a game-high 29 points and corralled 10 rebounds, leading four Washington Huskies in double-figures as the Huskies rolled over the Mount St. Mary’s Mountaineers of Maryland 100-67 Thursday night at Alaska Airlines Arena.

Andrew Andrews added 20. David Crisp had 13 and Dejounte Murray 11 for the Huskies (2-0) 

Junior Robinson, the Moutaineers' 5-foot-5 guard, scored 16 points for Mount St. Mary's (0-3).  BK Ashe scored 13 and Khalid Nwandu 12 for the Mountaineers.

The last time Washington scored 100 or more points was against Indiana in 2013. 

"I was really excited about the way we started out the game; we were really dialed in," Washington Head Coach Lorenzo Romar said. "With a young team like this it’s something that you are concerned about coming back on the big stage like the game in China against Texas and now coming back to this game, even though it was our first home game, wondering how we were going to react. I thought we reacted fine.”

The Huskies had to deal with Mount St. Mary's style of play, affectionately known as 'Mayhem', but it didn't affect them too much as the home team roared out to a 17-0 start and never looked back as they led for 38:47 of the game. Offensively they wanted to try and take advantage of posting Robinson down low with Murray, but Chriss took over, scoring 17 first-half points and dominating play inside. It's the most points scored by a true freshman since Nigel Williams-Goss scored 32 against Oregon State in early 2014. 

" I didn’t really set any expectations for myself, but I started going out there and I started making a couple of shots," Chriss said. "I was feeling it a little bit and I just kept shooting.”

While Chriss was the only one with a double-double, Baby Boy Murray was nearly there, coming up with nine rebounds to go with his 11 points. He also had five assists and three turnovers. Noah Dickerson also had nine rebounds to go with his three points. Overall, the forwards accounted for 40 of Washington's 60 total rebounds on the night. 

"We got a lot of points in the paint, 50 points in the paint. So half of our points. That’s what we wanted to do.”

When Crisp entered the game for the first time at the 16:18 mark of the first half, he immediately provided an assist for a made three by Matisse Thybulle and then canned his first three opportunity. 

"I just try to come in, bring energy, and do anything I can do to help the team win," said Crisp. "I can get rebounds, loose balls, score, assists. I try to do whatever to help.”

Defensively, the Huskies had to deal with a lot of switching at the top of the key, trying to make sure Robinson didn't beat his defender to the rim. They initially put 6-foot-5 freshman wing Matisse Thybulle on the 5-foot-5 Robinson in an attempt to keep Robinson out of the paint. 

"Over the years we’ve had a lot of success with the Bobby Joneses and the Justin Hollidays and now Matisse Thybulle, and even Dejounte (Murray), guarding smaller guys," Romar said. "You think back guys like Tajuan Porter from Oregon and even an Aaron Brooks, we feel if we can put a guy that’s pretty versatile and long on a smaller guy it can make it a little more difficult for them to have their way with us.”

The plan was to try and keep him outside and beat Washington with the three - something Mount St. Mary's heavily relies on. They typically shoot 50 percent of their shots from three-point range, and Thursday night was no different; of their 77 total shots, 37 came from distance. They connected on only nine of them. 

Robinson hit a three to trim the lead to 12 with 4:35 remaining in the first half, but Washington went on a 14-3 run to finish out the half. The Mountaineers again tried to shrink Washington margin, but the closest they could come in the second half was 18 points. After a Will Miller layup made the score 56-38 with 15:40 to go in the game, the Huskies outscored Mount St. Mary's 14-7 over the next 4:10 seconds to really put the game out of reach. 

And it was Chriss that led the way, going on an 8-0 run by himself - punctuated by a traditional and-1 with 12:05 remaining in the game to give Washington a 66-43 lead. 

"He was really active, very aggressive," Romar said of Chriss. "He’s just so athletic. He gets up to places that’s hard for other people to get to.”

Washington's largest lead was 35 points with 1:56 to go after two Dan Kingma free throws. By that time Romar had emptied the bench. 



Dawgman.com Top Stories